The Department of Health (DOH) Diversity and Inclusion Council serves as a policy and program advisory and coordination group to advance the agency's internal diversity and inclusion efforts. Its core function is to promote agency diversity, inclusion, and cultural humility to all levels of the agency, including the Executive Team.
- Agency leadership is committed to a workplace that supports diversity, inclusion and cultural humility and awareness.
- There are a number of areas in the agency that support diversity and inclusion work both internal and external to the agency already.
- We are an agency that supports a learning environment and encourages staff and leaders to learn and grow.
- We are developing a strong workforce development program to engage and train.
- The agency has a number of workgroups and activities in place that will support this work.
How does DOH define Diversity and Inclusion?
Diversity is comprised of the differences and similarities of all of us that include, for example, individual and organizational characteristics, values, beliefs, experiences and backgrounds. In addition to commonly accepted attributes, diversity encompasses a wide range of attributes we bring to the workplace such as our personal and professional history that frame how we see the world, collaborate with colleagues and stakeholders, and serve the people of Washington.
Inclusion means creating a work environment in which all individuals are treated fairly and respectfully, have equal access to opportunities and resources, and can contribute fully to the work of our agency.
Check out our video of DOH employees talking about the importance of diversity and inclusion in the workplace: Diversity is Rising at the Department of Health.
- Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Plan (PDF)
- DOH Affirmative Action Plan (2016) (PDF)
- Employee Expectations – Diversity & Inclusion (PDF)
- Diversity and Inclusion Key Principles (PDF)
- Equal Employment Opportunity: Workplace Free of Harassment, Discrimination, and Retaliation Policy (PDF)
- Equal Employment Opportunity: Workplace Free of Harassment, Discrimination, and Retaliation Procedure (PDF)
- Types of Discrimination and Harassment (PDF)
- Harassment, Discrimination and Retaliation Complaint Form (Word)