The COVID-19 vaccine is available to people 6 months of age and older.
October 3, 2023 – the U.S. Food and Drug Administration amended the emergency use authorization (EUA) of the Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine, Adjuvanted for use in individuals 12 years of age and older to include the 2023-2024 formula that target omicron subvariant XBB. 1.5. Bivalent mRNA and Original Novavax COVID-19 vaccines are no longer authorized or available in the United States.
The current COVID-19 vaccine recommendations by manufacturer are as follows:
Pfizer or Moderna:
- Children 6 months – 4 years old who are unvaccinated are recommended to receive 2 doses of updated 2023-2024 Moderna COVID-19 vaccine or 3 doses of updated 2023-2024 Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine.
- Children 6 months – 4 years old who were previously vaccinated are recommended to receive 1 or 2 doses of an updated 2023-2024 Moderna or Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine (timing and number of doses to administer depends on the previous COVID-19 vaccine[s] received).
- Anyone 5 years old and older regardless of previous vaccination is recommended to receive 1 dose of an updated mRNA 2023-2024 Moderna or Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine at least 2 months since the last dose of any COVID-19 vaccine.
- Individuals 6 months and older who are moderately or severely immunocompromised should complete a 3-dose initial series and may receive 1 or more additional updated 2023-2024 COVID-19 vaccine doses at least 2 months after their last dose.
- Individuals 12 years old and older previously vaccinated with any COVID-19 vaccine: one dose of Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine, Adjuvanted (2023-2024 Formula), administered at least 2 months after receipt of the last dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Individuals 12 years old and older not previously vaccinated with any COVID-19 vaccine: two doses of Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine, Adjuvanted (2023-2024 Formula), administered three weeks apart.
- Immunocompromised individuals 12 years old and older: an additional dose of Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine, Adjuvanted (2023-2024 Formula) may be administered at least 2 months following the last dose of a COVID-19 vaccine (2023-2024 Formula). Additional doses of Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine, Adjuvanted (2023-2024 Formula) may be administered at the discretion of the healthcare provider, taking into consideration the individual’s clinical circumstances. The timing of the additional doses may be based on the individual’s clinical circumstances.
The Washington State Department of Health is currently reviewing and updating our webpages and supporting resources to reflect these new recommendations.
Visit Vaccine Locator to find and schedule an appointment.
Washington State COVID-19 Information
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine requirements for health care and long term care workers
- COVID-19 vaccination staffing resource request for primary care providers
- Pharmacy partnerships
- Healthcare provider resources & recommendations
You can also subscribe to the weekly COVID-19 Vaccine Partner Newsletter on GovDelivery.