The Nursing Commission approves and oversees nursing assistant, nursing education and refresher course programs in the state of Washington. The commission sets education standards that:
- Promote the safe and effective practice of nursing assistants, licensed practical nurses, registered nurses and advanced practice nurses.
- Provide criteria for developing, evaluating, and improving new and established educational programs.
- Ensure candidates are educationally prepared for licensure or certification at the appropriate level of nursing practice.
- Facilitate interstate endorsement of graduates for commission-approved programs of nursing.
- Ensure nursing education standards for out-of-state distant learning programs are equivalent to in-state nursing programs.
- Provide criteria for developing, evaluating, and improving new and established refresher course programs.
If you have questions about nursing assistant, nursing education, out-of-state distance learning or refresher course programs, please call the Nursing Education Unit at 360-236-4703 or email us.