- Why is my license renewal date being extended?
There are roughly 215,000 health care providers whose licenses will expire between April 1 and September 30, 2020. The COVID-19 pandemic is taking an economic toll on many health professionals who are unable to work at this time. Other providers, such as emergency medical technicians, physicians, nurses, and respiratory therapists, are working intensively to care for those who are ill. We want them to be able to keep doing that work.
- Does the license extension apply to all health profession license types?
Yes, all active license types for all professions expiring between April 1 and September 30 will have license expiration dates extended to September 30, 2020.
- Will my renewal fee be waived?
No, the license expiration extension is not a fee waiver. It's only an extension for renewal under the Secretary's statutory authority and consistent with Governor Inslee's Proclamation 20-32 Department of Health – Healthcare Worker Licensing (PDF).
- Will I have to pay a late renewal fee if the extension applies to me, and I do not renew prior to September 30, 2020?
Yes, late renewal fees will apply if you don't renew prior to September 30, 2020.
- Will this change my renewal date in the future?
No, your renewal will continue to fall on the same annual expiration cycle in the future.
- Will a refund be issued if I have already paid my renewal fee this year and the license expiration extension applies to me?
No, we won't process refunds for any renewal fees already submitted and processed. Your license will be renewed and will expire on the date that applies to your specific profession.
- Can I still renew my license prior to my usual expiration date during this temporary license extension?
Yes, providers can still renew during the period of the extension if they choose to do so.
- Can I renew my license online if my usual expiration date has already past?
Many professions have been setup to renew their license online when expired. We're continuing work to add additional professions but do not anticipate adding more professions prior to the September 30 deadline. The following list of credential types are currently eligible to renew late online. If your credential type is not listed, you may return your renewal notice with payment by mail or contact our call center at 360-236-4700 for further assistance.
See our online renewal page to complete your online renewal process.
Credentials eligible for late renewal online
- Animal Massage Certification for large animals
- Animal Massage Certification for small animals
- Athletic Trainer License
- Audiologist License
- Certified Behavior Technician
- Chemical Dependency Professional Certification
- Chemical dependency Professional Trainee
- Chiropractic X-Ray Technician Registration
- Counselor Agency Affiliated Registration
- Counselor Certified Adviser Certification
- Counselor Certified Certification
- Dental Anesthesia Assistant Certification
- Dental Assistant Registration
- Dental Hygiene License
- Dental Hygiene Renewable Limited License
- Dentist Faculty UW License
- Dentist General Anesthesia Permit
- Dentist License
- Dentist Moderate Sedation Permit
- Dentist Moderate Sedation with Parenteral Agents Permit
- Dentist Resident Community License
- Dentist Resident Postdoctoral License
- Expanded Function Dental Auxiliary
- Hearing Instrument Fitter and Dispenser License
- Home Care Aide Certification
- Hypnotherapist Registration
- Medical Assistant Certification
- Medical Assistant Hemodialysis Technician Certification
- Medical Assistant Phlebotomist Certification
- Nursing Assistant Certification
- Nursing Assistant Registration
- Orthotist License
- Pharmacist License
- Pharmacy Assistant License
- Pharmacy Technician Certification
- Physical Therapist Assistant License
- Physical Therapist License
- Prosthetist License
- Radiologic Technologist Certification
- Radiologist Assistant Certification
- Recreational Therapist Registration
- Respiratory Care Practitioner License
- Surgical Technologist Registration
- X-Ray Technician Registration
Thank you for your patience as we continue to update our new website.