Scope of Practice/Nurse Practice Act of Washington
The Nurse Practice Act is found in RCW 18.79. The Nursing Commission writes the rules for nursing practice. WAC 246-840-700 to 705 identifies the functions of the LPN and RN. WAC 246-840-300 identifies the scope of practice for advanced registered nurse practitioners.
The scope of practice decision tree (PDF) helps nurses understand how to make practice decisions.
Testing information for undergraduate nursing students
In order to become a licensed practical nurse or registered nurse, applicants must take and pass the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX). First, you will need Authorization to Test (ATT) from the Nursing Commission's licensing division. Once you receive confirmation of the ATT, complete the testing application on the Pearson Vue website.
National certification examination information for Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioners
The national certifying body publishes and distributes the scope of practice statements. The Nursing Care Quality Assurance Commission approves the following national certification programs for:
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP)
- American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN)
- American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (AANA)
- American Midwifery Certification Board (AMCB)
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- Pediatric Nursing Certification Board (PNCB)
- National Certification Corporation for the Obstetric, Gynecologic
and Neonatal Nursing Specialties (NCC)
- Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation (ONCC)