Antimicrobial Stewardship Toolkit
The tools and resources on this page are to help healthcare providers and ambulatory clinics optimize antibiotic use to achieve the best outcomes for patients and prevent antibiotic resistance.
- Charter and Strategic Plan Template (Word)
- An editable template to create an antimicrobial stewardship program charter and strategic plan with sample language included.
- Implementation Timeline Template (Excel)
- An editable timeline to assist in setting goals and committing to accomplish specific events or milestones in your antimicrobial stewardship program.
- JumpStart Stewardship Workbook for Ambulatory Settings (PDF)
- Guidance and tools for ambulatory clinics to plan, implement and maintain a feasible, sustainable antimicrobial stewardship program tailored to their own unique resources and characteristics.
- Display commitment posters publicly to improve antibiotic prescribing (per CDC). Two formats: one is customizable and adaptable for a specific clinic, the other is ready for immediate printing and display.
Antibiotic Awareness videos: conditions that commonly lead to inappropriate prescribing of antibiotics
These videos on different conditions discuss why a person may not need antibiotics and how they can be treated instead. They explain why antibiotics are not always the right answer when a person is ill. They show common conditions where antibiotics may be inappropriately prescribed. The following Antibiotic Awareness videos are hosted on YouTube.
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI), Cystitis, or Bladder Infection
Interactive educational module
Antimicrobial Stewardship in Ambulatory Settings is an educational module for outpatient prescribers (physicians, nurse practitioners and physician's assistants). Learn about how to improve use of antibiotics in outpatient settings, including quiz format and role plays.
Clinical practice guidelines for judicious use of antibiotics - Washington State
- Acute Otitis Media (AOM) (PDF)
- Acute Uncomplicated Bronchitis (Adults) (PDF)
- Acute Uncomplicated Sinusitis (Adults) (PDF)
- Acute Uncomplicated Sinusitis (Children
- Pharyngitis (Adults and Children) (PDF)
- Qualis Health Antimicrobial Stewardship in Outpatient Settings (webpage)
Qualis Health helps improve antimicrobial stewardship in the Northwest by working with Idaho and Washington State outpatient care settings to develop and improve their antimicrobial stewardship (AMS) programs.
- CDC Core Elements of Outpatient Antibiotic Stewardship (webpage)
- Mitigate Antimicrobial Stewardship Toolkit- A Guide for Practical Implementation in Adult and Pediatric Emergency Department and Urgent Care Settings (webpage)
This guide is for healthcare providers and administrators interested in designing quality improvement programs in antimicrobial stewardship. It outlines how facilities can implement individualized, effective, and practical antimicrobial stewardship programs in acute care (emergency department and urgent care) settings.