We require proof to make some corrections to birth, marriage and divorce certificates. Before you send us proof documents, make sure they meet the below criteria.
Proof Documents must:
- Show the true facts you are requesting corrected
- Include full name and date of birth
- Match exactly the correction requested on the affidavit for correction.
- Example, if you are requesting a correction from “Mary Doe” to “Mary Ann Doe”, the proof must show the name to be Mary Ann Doe. Proof cannot show “Mary A. Doe” or “M. Ann Doe”.
- Be from independent sources, when more than one proof document is required, and
- Have been established over five years ago (it could have been printed more recently)
Have been established within 5 years of birth, if correcting the child's information and child is under 5.
Note: We accept passports and green cards established at any time, including if they are expired.
Examples of Proof Documents
Documents we accept if they meet the above criteria include:
- Passports, Alien Registration Card (Green Cards), Naturalization Certificate
- Hospital/medical record
- Full Numident Report (Social Security)
- Marriage or divorce record
- Health or life insurance policy
- Birth record of requestor's child
- Military record (DD-214)
- Official school transcripts (do not have to be in a sealed envelope in order to be valid).
- WE DO NOT ACCEPT: driver's licenses, social security card or hospital issued decorative birth certificates or decorative marriage certificates.
Email us at VitalRecordsCorrections@doh.wa.gov.
Changing or correcting birth certificates for children under 18
Changing or correcting birth certificates for adults 18 and older
Correcting a death certificate
Correcting a marriage or divorce certificate
Court ordered name change