To help Washingtonians move and be more active, the state plan recommends:
- Access to free or low-cost recreational opportunities.
- Increase the number of physical activity opportunities available to children.
- Increase the number of Active Community Environments.
- Provide adequate funding for state and local recreation sites and facilities.
- Develop model policies to increase access to public facilities.
- Increase the number of worksites that have policies that enhance physical activity.
- Adopt school-based curricula and polices that provide quality, daily physical activity for all schools and daycare centers.
- Encourage policies that provide K-12 students with opportunities for physical activity outside of formal physical education classes.
- Provide opportunities to reduce sedentary behaviors, such as watching television, with physical activity.
Active community environments
- Use urban planning approaches.
- Incorporate transportation policy and infrastructure changes to promote non-motorized transportation.
- Enhance the safety and perceived safety of communities to improve walk-ability and bike-ability.