Verify the status of a BHA license
The quickest way to check the status of a behavioral health agency (BHA) license is on the Facilities Credential Search site. This site will show if the license is in "active" or "pending" status. A license in "active" status allows the BHA to operate. A license in "pending" status means the licensing review process is under way and the BHA should not be operating. The status is quickly updated to active when the review process is complete. Agencies should receive a hard copy of the active license in the mail within seven to 10 business days.
All licensing applications are reviewed within a few days of receipt. If there is missing or incomplete information, a Department of Health staff member will notify you via the email address provided on the application. If you didn't provide an email address, the department will mail you a letter.
Processing time varies for each application. It depends on how complete the application is, and how quickly the licensing requirements are met.
An agency must include payment of licensing and certification fees with the initial application, renewal application, or with requests for other services. Visit the fee schedule webpage for more information.
WAC 246-341-0365 – Agency licensure and certification – Fee requirements
Questions about outpatient BHA licensure? Contact the Facilities Program Manager.
Questions about residential inpatient BHA licensure? Contact the Facilities Program Manager.
A BHA Licensing and Certification Application (PDF) is required for initial licensure, annual license renewal, and when amending a license. Additional instructions are included in the application.
Tip: Submit a cover letter with your application describing what you are intending to do with your application (i.e., applying for initial licensure or renewing or amending and existing license). If amending a license, provide a brief description of the type of amendment you wish to make.
- Initial License
An initial licensing application is required when:
- Establishing a new BHA
- Adding a branch site
- Adding a new BHA location to an existing hospital BHA license
- Changing locations
- Changing ownership
The initial licensing steps include submitting:
- A BHA Licensing and Certification Application (PDF) and fee (s)
- Policies and Procedures for review and approval that reflect requirements in Chapter 246-341 WAC. See the Policy and Procedure Review Tool (PDF) .
- Administrator background check and disclosure statement (completed within the last three months of application date)
- Copy of Master Business License
- Annual License Renewal
Renewal requests must be received by the Department before the expiration date of the agency’s current license.
To renew your BHA license, submit:
- A BHA Licensing and Certification Application (PDF)
- The renewal fee
- Policies and procedures if you are adding any new certifications or services. See the Policy and Procedure Review Tool (PDF).
Tip: The application to renew is required as of August 1, 2023. Renewal applications received between August 1, 2023 and July 31, 2024 must have section V completed so that the new certification and services information that went into effect on May 1, 2023 can be recorded. Please see the certification crosswalk (PDF) for help determining the revised certification and service titles. If you need assistance determining which certifications and services to include on your renewal application, please contact 360-236-2971.
- Amending a License
An amended licensing application is required when:
- Adding or removing a certification or behavioral health service.
- Closing a location.
- Changing the administrator. Include a copy of the disclosure statement and report of findings from a background check of the new administrator completed within 30 days of the change.
To amend an existing license, submit a BHA Licensing and Certification Application (PDF).
Depending on the change being made, you may also need to submit a fee or policies and procedures. See the Policy and Procedure Review Tool (PDF).