Public Records

Anyone can ask to see written records produced by Washington state government agencies including the Department of Health (DOH). To find out more, choose from the following options:

Getting Your Medical Records

Please note: In general, DOH does not house a person's individual medical records. These records must be requested from the medical facility or practitioner that provided services to the patient.

Certain healthcare information is exempt from release under RCW 42.56.360 or other applicable Washington state statutes. If your public record request is asking for your own personal information be released without redactions, we will need a notarized proof of identity form.

To provide your protected-patient information without exemptions, we first require the following:  

  • Notarized Proof of Identification Form (PDF) for yourself and, if the patient is a minor or has a legal representative, official/legal proof of your right to request this information (official birth certificate, Power of Attorney, etc.)
  • Notarized Medical Records Release Authorization Form (from a medical provider)

Please log into your DOH records center account and upload these documents into your request.

​Below is a list of links to the department's website where you may obtain additional information and records.

How to Receive Records and the Associated Costs

Unless you choose to receive paper copies of the requested records or to view the records in person, you can log into our DOH Public Records Portal to retrieve your electronic records.

WACs and RCWs Pertaining to Public Records


As of February 19, 2018, WAC 246-08-990 (RCW 42.56.120) authorizes the Department of Health to collect reasonable costs for providing copies (paper or electronic). You may choose to receive requested records as paper copies sent to you in the mail, or electronic copies sent via your DOH Public Records portal or mailed on CD or USB drive. Electronic copies will be sent to you via your DOH Public Records customer portal unless requested otherwise. Per WAC 246-08-990(7), requestors are required to pay fees for copies in advance of receiving records.