Anyone can ask to see written records produced by Washington State government agencies including the Department of Health. To find out more, choose from the following options:
- Submit a public records request through our DOH Public Records Portal. Please provide as much information as you can about the records so we can respond as quickly as possible. Submitting your public records request through your online account (DOH Public Records Portal) is our preferred method of receiving a records request. Sending your public records requests directly to staff does not expedite your request in any way and may in fact delay processing of the request if the staff person is out of the office or unavailable for any extended period of time.
- Request or view records in person by appointment at one of our DOH office locations – Per Governor’s Proclamation 20-28.16, in-person review of public records will resume effective 12:01 a.m. on June 1, 2022. Office hours for in-person review of DOH records will be by appointment between the hours of 8:30 a.m. until noon and 1 p.m. until 4:30 p.m. You may request an appointment through communication on your online customer portal or by emailing PRD@doh.wa.gov. Please provide your public records request reference number and preferred location when requesting your appointment. A records coordinator will contact you to schedule your appointment. You will be required to wear a mask at all times while in DOH facilities.
- Have general questions? Contact our public records officer by email at PRD@doh.wa.gov or phone at 360-236-4220.
How to receive records and the associated costs:
Unless you choose to receive paper copies of the requested records or to view the records in person, you can log into our DOH Public Records Portal to retrieve your electronic records.
- DOH Public Records Fee Schedule (PDF) – costs associated with production and delivery of records. Per WAC 246-08-990(7), requestors are required to pay for copies in advance of receiving records.
- Public Records Request – List of Individuals – Commercial Purpose Declaration Form (Word)
- Public Records - COVID-19 (viewed best in Internet Explorer)
WACs and RCWs pertaining to Public Records
- Acquisition, security, retention, disclosure, and destruction of health information (WAC 246-08-390)
- Medical records - State law (RCW 70.02)
- Public Records Act - State law (RCW 42.56)
- Public Records Act – Model Rules (Chapter 44-14 WAC)
As of February 19, 2018, WAC 246-08-990 (RCW 42.56.120) authorizes the Department of Health to collect reasonable costs for providing copies (paper or electronic). You may choose to receive requested records as paper copies sent to you in the mail, or electronic copies sent via your DOH Public Records portal or mailed on CD or USB drive. Electronic copies will be sent to you via your DOH Public Records customer portal unless requested otherwise. Per WAC 246-08-990(7), requestors are required to pay fees for copies in advance of receiving records.