Local Health Jurisdictions
Historically, a combination of local, state, and federal resources has financed services provided by local health jurisdictions. These include:
- Local funds: county general funds, licenses, permits, and fees for services
- State funds: contracts for specific programs, flexible funds to meet local needs, and reimbursement for performing specific services (i.e., Medicaid reimbursement)
- Federal funds: contracts for specific programs and reimbursement for performing specific services (most of this funding is passed through the state Department of Health)
- Other funding—such as federal or private grants
The mix of these funds and the conditions attached to their use have changed over time.
Local Health Jurisdictions Funding Information Resources
- Consolidated Contracts - Activity logs, billing instructions, forms, reports, and program information.
- Budgeting, Accounting and Reporting System (BARS)
- Background of Local Public Health Funding in Washington State (2008 PHIP, Appendix 2)
- Maternal and Child Health Block Grant
- Puget Sound Local Management Plan Funding - Source of public health monies provided by the state legislature to 12 Puget Sound LHJs to implement on-site sewage system management plans as required by Chapter 70.118A RCW.
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program - FEMA award grants to fire departments to help enhance their ability to protect the public and fire service personnel. This website describes the three types of grants available and offers resources to help fire departments prepare and submit grant requests.
- FEMA Grants and Assistance Programs - Some grants are only made available after a major disaster or emergency. This website provides grant information organized by audience and disaster type. More information on Grants administration.
- Homeland Security Grant Program - The Homeland Security Grant Program funds can be used for preparedness planning, equipment acquisition, training exercises, management, and administration purposes. This web page provides an overview of the program.