- Who may take the exam for licensed midwife?
To take the exam, the applicant must:
- submit the application;
- pay the application and exam fees;
- meet the licensing requirements for selected route to licensure: education, births, care exam, experience/training, etcetera;
- receive a notice of eligibility from the department to sit for the exam.
- When, where and how will the exam be administered?
Midwifery program staff members administer the exam individually by appointment in Tumwater. The exam is also offered online through a testing company. The applicant can choose which option works best for them. It is a multiple choice exam.
- How do I request ADA accommodations for an exam?
You must submit requests for ADA accommodations in writing 30 days before the date of the exam you would like to schedule.
Requests must include:
- How do I reschedule or cancel an exam?
If you need to cancel or reschedule an exam you must contact the Department of Health, Midwifery Program at 360-236-4883 or by email.
- How many questions are on the exam?
The exam has 85 multiple choice questions.
- How long does the exam take?
You are allowed one hour and 30 minutes to complete the exam.
- Can I bring reference materials and my own notes to the exam?
No. You are not allowed to bring anything into the testing room.
- How much does the exam cost?
The cost of the exam is $155 each time you take it. You can pay ahead with your application or pay at the front counter at the time of the exam. The front counter takes cash, check and credit card.
- What topics are covered on the exam?
- What should I study to prepare for the exam?
Exam content will come from a variety of sources. The primary references for the exam are:
- What is the passing score for the exam?
State law requires a score of at least 80 percent. The legislature established that applicants must pass the examination to become credentialed. The legislature did not establish provisions or resources to use the examination results for purposes other than as a pass-fail mechanism. For this reason, we provide applicants only with pass or fail results for the examination.
- When will I receive exam results?
Typically you are given your score the day of your exam. If that's not possible, notices will be by email within 10 working days. Examination scores will not be released to anyone except as provided above unless release is authorized in writing by the applicant.
- If I do not pass the exam, when can I retake it?
You must wait at least 14 days from the date of your most recent exam.
- Can I find out which questions I missed on the exam?
State law prohibits us from releasing examination questions. (RCW 42.56.250) Whether you pass or fail the exam, we cannot provide you with the questions you answered incorrectly.
Thank you for your patience as we continue to update our new website.