Hospital Construction Standards Rules Project: 2018-2019
Hospital licensing construction standards set minimum requirements for new construction and renovation of licensed hospitals. Healthcare design and construction processes are complex and highly specialized. The design and construction industry constantly evolves to include new materials, technologies and methods. It is in the interest and safety of the public and the healthcare system to have facilities designed to the most current standards.
On August 8, 2018, the Department of Health's (department) Office of Community Health Systems, Construction Review Services unit officially filed a CR-101 (pre-proposal statement of inquiry) with the Office of the Code Reviser to open chapter 246-320 WAC (construction standards only) for possible modification, WSR #18-17-045. This rulemaking process will consider aligning our state licensing standards with current national construction standards. Potential rules revisions would allow facilities and designers to use new construction methods and technologies.
- Important Dates, Documents and Information
- August 8, 2018 – chapter 246-320 WAC—Hospital Licensing (construction standards only) CR-101 is filed with the Code Reviser's Office.
- August 22, 2018 – “Rule project kick-off” webinar is held.
- August 31, 2018 – Draft rules language published.
- September 5, 2018 – Webinar: Major Changes in the 2018 Facility Guideline Institute (FGI)
- September 25, 2018 – Proposals due. Deadline extended.
- October 1, 2018 – Workshop #1. Review Proposals.
9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Department of Health
Creekside Two at CenterPoint
20425 72nd Ave S, Suite 310, Kent, WA 98032 | Driving directions
- October 18, 2018 – Workshop #1 meeting notes (Report on Proposals) published.
- November 21, 2018 – Comments due.
- December 5, 2018 – Workshop #2. Review Comments.
9 a.m. through completion
Department of Health
Town Center 2
111 Israel Road SE, Tumwater, WA 98501 | Driving directions
Meeting agenda (PDF)
- December 5, 2018 – Workshop #2 meeting notes (Report on Comments) published.
- Fall 2018 – CR-102 with Proposed Rules Language Filed.
- Fall 2018 – CR-102 Public Hearing held.
- Fall 2019 – CR-103 anticipated filing date.
- Fall 2019 – Anticipated rules effective date.
The Department's rule-making process
To receive updates via email about draft and proposed rules changes and other important messages from Construction Review Services (CRS), join the Construction Review Gov Delivery (previously known as the CRS Listserv).
- CRS main phone line: 360-236-2944
- John Williams, Construction Review Services Manager
Applying to CRS | Applications | Certificate of Need (CoN) | Desk Reference Manuals | Local AHJ (courtesy of WABO) | Plan Review Fee | Reviewers