Denial of Parentage

What is a Denial of Parentage (DOP) form?

A DOP is a legal form that allows the person denying parentage to be discharged from all rights and duties as a parent. By filing this form, the person denying parentage will not be listed on the birth certificate. This form must be filed with an Acknowledgment of Parentage (AOP) form.

Important note: The Department of Health will accept the prior version of the DOP form only if it was signed before January 1, 2019. The non-refundable $18 filing fee must be submitted with the prior form. We will send back all incomplete forms, prior forms that were signed after January 1, 2019, and incorrect payments.

Who can sign a DOP form?

  • The spouse or ex-spouse who is or was married to the mother/birth parent and will not be the parent listed on the child's birth certificate.
  • A person who is genetically related to the child and is revoking their right to be a parent listed on the child's birth certificate.
  • The second parent currently listed on the child's birth certificate. An AOP form must be submitted to replace the second parent being removed.

When is a DOP form used?

Regardless of the situation, a DOP form can only be used if:

  • Everyone agrees, and
  • Parentage has not been decided by a court.

If a DOP is needed, the AOP and DOP forms can be filed separately or at the same time, but neither is valid unless both forms are filed with us. The parentage file date is when both forms are received and filed. If you choose to send the forms together, only one non-refundable filing fee of $18 is required. Otherwise, two non-refundable $18 filing fees are required.

In any other situation, a court order is required to add or remove a parent listed on a child's birth certificate. Visit the court order page for more information.

Instructions for completing the DOP form

  • The person denying parentage must sign page 1 in the presence of a notary or witness.
  • The notary or witness must sign on page 1.
  • Submit completed DOP with a non-refundable $18 check or money order payable to DOH.

Mail    In-Person

By Mail

Mailing Address  

Send all forms and payments to:

Department of Health
Center for Health Statistics
PO Box 9709
Olympia, WA 98507

Do I need a notary or a witness?

Yes. The person denying parentage must sign the DOP in front of either a notary OR a witness.. The notary or witness must also complete the signature block.

Common notary locations include hospitals, local banks, title companies, and attorneys/county clerks.

A person signing the witnessed statement must be at least 18 years of age and not related by blood or marriage to the individual who signs a form. The local child support offices will serve as witnesses. Center for Health Statistics staff will not serve as witnesses.

What if I change my mind and want to reverse the DOP?

Anyone who signed an AOP or DOP form may change their mind. You can submit a Rescission of Parentage form up to 60 days to undo an AOP or DOP form. Visit the Rescission of Parentage page for more information.

Ordering a certificate with a correction request

  • Send completed certificate order form with your correction request. Include all required documents referenced on the certificate application instruction page.
  • Certificate will be issued after the correction has been processed.

Birth Certificate Application (en español)

Death Certificate Application (en español)

Marriage & Divorce Application (en español)

Exchanging a certificate with a correction request

If you currently have a certified copy of a certificate that was issued less than one year ago, send in the certified copy of the certificate with your correction request; we will exchange the certificate at no charge.

More information

For more information, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page

Contact us

Contact us by email