I'm Glad I Chose Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding is a special relationship between me and my baby. I love the way my baby looks at me during our special time.
- Breastfeeding is the normal way to feed my baby.
- My milk is always ready when my baby is hungry. Anytime. Anywhere.
- My milk changes as my baby grows. From day to day and hour to hour, it's made just for my baby. Nothing can compare.
I Know My Breastmilk Protects My Baby's Health
My breastfed baby has a reduced risk of:
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
- Ear infections.
- Diarrhea, constipation and other tummy problems.
- Colds and flu. If my baby does get sick, the illness is usually milder and doesn't last as long.
- Allergies and asthma.
- Childhood cancers.
Breastfeeding is Good for Me and Easier Too!
Breastfeeding wasn't easy in the beginning but after a few weeks, my baby and I figured it out. I'm glad I kept breastfeeding because:
- I enjoy the special time with my baby. I get to sit down, put up my feet up and snuggle my sweet baby close to me.
- The breastfeeding hormones make me feel relaxed and happy when I nurse.
- My baby smells sweet and the diapers aren't smelly.
- My baby hardly spits up and when they do, it doesn't stain like formula.
- Breastfeeding helped me lose my baby weight.
- Breastfeeding reduces my risk of breast cancer, obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
- My milk is naturally clean, warm and ready. There's nothing to mix, measure or heat-up!
Breastfeeding Saves Me Money
- Breastfeeding is free. Formula is expensive and WIC doesn't supply all the formula a baby needs.
Breastfeeding Helps the Environment
- I feel good about breastfeeding because there are no animals or crops to raise or anything to package or ship. This saves water, oil, paper and tin. I don't have anything to throw away either.
Quotes from Moms
- “I'm glad I asked my WIC peer counselor about breastfeeding before I went back to work. She helped me with my schedule and gave me a good pump. I love reconnecting with my baby at the end of the day to breastfeed.”
- “My breastmilk is from me. I wouldn't give my baby anything else.”
- “People say you bond, but when I was pregnant I thought, ‘bonding-what does that mean?' But now I know!”
- “Not only is nursing the easiest and most convenient way, it's also the healthiest thing I can do.”
- “I can easily sooth and calm my baby when she's upset by nursing her. I feel more relaxed too.”
- “I read a lot and heard it was better to breastfeed. I'm really glad I decided to do it. It wasn't easy at first, but he's so healthy—it's really worth it.”
- “I'm so proud to see my baby grow so well on my milk. It's the most amazing thing!”
- “Breastfeeding a baby is the most wonderful experience a mother can have. That's because a baby is part of you. When you nurse, you feel that it is the best thing you can do for him.”
- “Breastfeeding is a wonderful bonding for both mom and baby. It makes me feel good to know that as a mother I'm giving my baby the best that she deserves. It makes me feel loved as well.”
- “What I like the very best about breastfeeding is when I am feeding and he looks up and smiles!”