Rules in Progress
Rules are created through a public process involving open public meetings and hearings. While each rule is in various stages of rule writing, you're welcome to comment at any time.
Rules are also known as regulations, Washington Administrative Code, or WAC.
- Current rules in progress
Rule Filing Information Subject of possible rule making:
Rule making is necessary to achieve the statute’s goals and objectives by providing updated requirements that are clear, concise, and necessary to ensure patient safety. Rulemaking establishes enforceable credentialing requirements and safety mechanisms for patients receiving chiropractic services.
Chiropractic Credentialing Requirements. The Chiropractic Quality Assurance Commission is considering revisions to WAC 246-808-010, 246-808-105 through 246-808-140, 246-808-190, 246-808-510, 246-808-535, and 246-808-801 through 246-808-830 to clarify, streamline, and modernize the rule language to be consistent with current laws and practice standards. 23-05-053
Filed February 10, 2023 (PDF)
Subject of possible rule making: WAC 246-808-201 and 246-808-215. The Chiropractic Quality Assurance Commission is considering adopting health equity continuing education (CE) model rules, WAC 246-12-800 through 246-12-830, to comply with RCW 43.70.613 for chiropractic X-ray technicians. The commission will also evaluate credentialing requirements for chiropractic X-ray technicians, including but not limited to: the number of hours of training required, the format in which those hours are obtained, the content of the training, and who can provide the training. The commission is also considering amending requirements for X-ray technicians whose credentials have expired and administrative updates to better align the rule with current standards. 23-08-021
Filed March 24, 2023 (PDF)
Rules Date and Location The workshops are open to the public and will be announced here, as well as through GovDelivery. To get announcements subscribe to GovDelivery.
The workshops are open to the public and will be announced here, as well as through GovDelivery. To get announcements subscribe to GovDelivery.
The Chiropractic Quality Assurance Commission has filed a CR-102, Proposed Rule for WAC 246-808-201, 246-808-203, 246-808-205, 246-808-207, 246-808-209, 246-808-211 and repealing 246-808-215. The commission is proposing changes to rules concerning chiropractic X-Ray technician’s course requirements including who can instruct the course, and updating the requirements for obtaining, maintaining, and returning from expired status. The commission is also adopting continuing education requirements to reflect requirements in Engrossed Substitute Senate Bill (ESSB) 5229 (chapter 276, Laws of 2021).
As part of these revisions the commission is proposing updates to the qualifications to obtain, maintain and return from expired status for chiropractic X-ray technicians.
- Provide housekeeping updates throughout the sections to clarify requirements, without changing the intent.
- Create new sections:
- WAC 246-808-203 Definitions
- WAC 246-808-205 Registration of chiropractic X-ray technicians
- WAC 246-808-207 Course requirements and approval
- WAC 246-808-209 Continuing education for chiropractic X-ray technicians
- WAC 246-808-211 Expired credential – Requirements for reactivating a chiropractic X-ray technician
- Repeal WAC 246-808-215 Registration of chiropractic X-ray technicians.
- Clarify that a chiropractor may also employ another chiropractor to operate X-ray equipment.
- Amend the number of training hours to obtain the credential.
- Amend the examination requirements to include a written and practical proficiency examination. The commission is also considering decreasing the passing grade to 70 percent.
- Create additional exceptions for who may obtain the chiropractic X-ray technician without obtaining the required training or examination.
- Clarify when the first continuing education (CE) period is due.
- Propose adopting the health equity CE model rules. The commission is proposing adopting the health equity model rules, WAC 246-12-800 through 246-12-830, for chiropractic X-ray technicians to comply with RCW 43.70.631.
- The proposed rule does not change total hours, it adopts the model health equity CE rules by adding the required two hours in health equity CE every four years to the existing number of CE hours required for chiropractic X-ray technicians without changing the existing total number of CE hours required.
- The goal of health equity CE is to equip health care workers with the skills to recognize and reduce health inequities in their daily work. The content of health equity trainings includes instruction on skills to address structural factors such as bias, racism, and poverty, that manifest as health inequities.
- Provide clarity about what is required to renew an expired chiropractic X-ray technician.
- Propose additional training requirements for chiropractic X-ray technicians who have allowed their credential to expire for five years or longer.
November 16, 2023, at 9:20 a.m.
Department of Labor & Industries
7273 Linderson Way S.W., Room S117 and S118
Tumwater, WA 98501
The meeting will also be held virtually. Please see notice for information on joining the hearing or submitting comments on the rules.
- Comment on Rules
The Chiropractic Quality Assurance Commission values your input and we sincerely encourage you to send us your comments on any rule in progress. You may send your comments to:
Department of Health
Attn: Chiropractic Commission Rules
P.O. Box 47858
Olympia, WA 98504-7858
You may also submit comments using the online rules comment page.