Original Birth Certificate for an Adopted Person

You can get a copy of an original (pre-adoption) non-certified birth certificate if you are:

It is important to know that the sealed files with the original birth certificates are not located in our office. It may take several weeks or more for us to access the record. 

For more information, visit the Adoption Law webpage.

Where do I send my forms and fees?

Make check or money order payable to the Department of Health.

Mailing address:

Attn: Adoptions
Center for Health Statistics
PO Box 9709
Olympia, WA 98507-9709

Searching for Birth Parents or an Adopted Person

An adopted person over the age of 21, or a birth-parent or member of the birth parent’s family, may petition the Superior Court in the county of adoption to appoint a Confidential Intermediary to search for the birth parent(s) or adopted person.

Non-identifying information may be disclosed to adoptee by the adoption agency that handled the adoption or the court in which the adoption was granted.

For questions contact our office at 360-236-4300 or email us at adoptions@doh.wa.gov.

Return to the main Adoption page