Temporary Worker Housing - What it is

What is Migrant Farmworker/Temporary Worker Housing?

Temporary worker housing and migrant farmworker housing are the same thing. They're any place provided for migrant farmworkers to stay/sleep while in the area to work agriculture.

Temporary worker housing (TWH) is the terminology used in the law, Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and the rules, Washington Administrative Code (WAC).

Temporary worker – means an agricultural employee that:

  • Works intermittently at one or more agricultural worksites;
  • Stays at site other than their primary residence; and
  • Doesn't reside at the same worksite year-round.

Housing refers to whatever place, area or structure provided for temporary workers to stay/sleep. This may be:

  • Place – ground, campsite, RV site or structure site;
  • Structure – tent, garage, cabin, apartment, motel room, house or bunkhouse;
  • Provided by – employer, contractor, manager, relative, friend or other person;
  • Payment – for rent, lease, pay deduction or no charge.