Environmental Public Health Licenses, Certifications and Permits

Clandestine Drug Lab Cleanup

To work as a clandestine drug lab decontamination worker, supervisor, contractor, or training provider in Washington state, an individual must obtain and maintain a drug lab cleanup certification.

Commercial Shellfish

Commercial shellfish licenses offered in Washington include harvester, shellstock shipper, wholesale only shellstock shipper, and shucker-packer. Apply for a commercial shellfish license or a harvest site certificate.

Drinking Water

The Office of Drinking Water:

  • Requires all Group A public water systems to apply for an annual operating permit. Learn more
  • Requires all water systems classified as Group A Community, Nontransient noncommunity (NTNC), Transient noncommunity (TNC) with surface water or groundwater under the influence of surface water (GWI) as their source, and TNCs classified as significant noncompliers (SNCs) are required under WAC 246-292-020 to employ certified operators to carry out various operational functions. Learn more
  • Maintains a list of agencies approved by DOH (pursuant to WAC 246-295) to provide ownership and/or management and operation services to water systems. The list identifies Satellite Management Agencies names, addresses, phone numbers, service areas, service limitations and the type of service the agency provides. Learn more

Food Safety

All food workers in Washington are required to have a valid food worker card.

Radiation Protection

The Office of Radiation Protection:

  • Requires registration of all X-ray machines through the Department of Revenue's Master Business License program, assessing an annual fee. The X-ray section reviews shielding plans for new construction of X-ray facilities and issues approval letters. Learn more
  • Regulates many radioactive licensees throughout the State of Washington. A specific license is required to receive, possess, use, transfer, or acquire most radioactive materials. Learn more
  • Has a regulatory function in enforcing compliance with federal and state Clean Air Acts for radionuclides at nuclear facilities statewide. Learn more

Transient Accommodations

Transient accommodations are facilities that offer three or more lodging units to guests for periods of less than thirty days. Facilities include hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, resorts, inns, condominiums, crisis shelters, hostels, and retreats.

Wastewater Management

Review and approval is required for large on-site sewage system (LOSS) operating permits.

Water Recreation Facilities

Rules, guidelines, and the permit for a new or revised water recreation facility.