The Office of Nutrition Services, WIC Nutrition and Local Support Section provides services in these program areas:
- Contracts with local health jurisdictions, community agencies, and tribal organizations to provide WIC services.
- Supports health assessment of low income infants, children up tp age 5, and pregnant, breastfeeding and postpartum women.
- Provides for issuance of checks for participants to use to buy healthy foods at authorized grocers.
- Provides breastfeeding promotion and support through local agency efforts and support of state and local coalitions.
- Assures WIC providers refer clients to needed health and social services.
- Contracts with local agencies to support the “Loving Support” peer counseling model.
- Promotes healthy eating, including consumption of fresh and local produce.