Renters, Landlords, and Mold


Mold problems in buildings are a result of water and moisture problems. Renters need to operate the heating and ventilation systems to reduce water condensation. Renters need to notify landlords promptly, in writing, of any water leaks or moisture problems. If there is a water leak or moisture problem, it should be fixed by the landlord. Your local building and code enforcement official may take action if building problems are not addressed - they won't respond to mold complaints, so it's important to stress the source of the water problem.

If you rent your home, you are covered by the Residential Landlord-Tenant Act (RCW 59.18). The Washington State Office of the State Attorney General does not handle consumer complaints about issues covered by the Residential Landlord-Tenant Act. They do provided a list of resources for those seeking information regarding residential landlord/tenant issues. 


Landlords are responsible for maintaining rental units, including fixing building problems such as water leaks and ventilation or heating defects which may lead to moisture problems. Landlords must notify their tenants about the health hazards associated with exposure to indoor mold and ways to control mold growth in their dwelling units. Posting this information in a visible, public location at the dwelling unit property is allowed. The following materials can fulfill the notification requirements:

Mold Guidance

Mold Guidance for Tenants and Landlords, Northwest Clean Air Agency - Understand why mold problems start and who's responsible for fixing the problem.

Resources for Resolving Problems

Landlord-Tenant Resources, State Attorney General's Office - Helpful resources for renters, including legal assistance and dispute resolution services.


Content Source: Indoor Air Quality Program