- Snacks should contain items from two of the snack categories listed below.
- All items should have 0g trans-fat.
- Water should be available at all snack times.
Milk and Milk Product Beverages
- Non-fat or low-fat (1%) milk and milk products, preferably unsweetened.
Fruit or Vegetable
- 100% fruit juice, with no added sweeteners (less than 8 oz. serving for adults).
- Fresh and frozen fruits, instead of canned. If canned fruit is served, it should be canned in light syrup, unsweetened juice or water. Examples:
- Dried fruit
- Applesauce with no added sugar
- Canned fruit in unsweetened juice, light syrup or water.
- Vegetables that are fresh, frozen with no added sodium, or canned with low or no added sodium. Examples:
- Carrot sticks
- Celery sticks
- Pepper slices
Bread or Grain
- Items must contain at least 50% whole grains and the remaining should be enriched grains. Examples:
- Whole wheat pita triangles
- Whole grain cereal
- Whole grain crackers
- Whole grain bread
- Rice cakes
- Plain popcorn
- A variety of lean proteins including meat, poultry, eggs, fish, seafood, beans, peas, nuts, seeds and soy products. Examples:
- Bean dip
- Cottage cheese
- Low-fat cheese
- Hard boiled eggs
- Low-fat or non-fat yogurt
- Low-sodium tuna
- Nut butters
- Sunflower seeds
- Turkey slices