Register an Adoption for a Child Born Outside United States

Due to staffing levels we currently have a six (6) to eight (8) week processing turnaround time.
  • If you submitted a product or processing fee, the date your check or money order is cashed represents the verification of receipt. It also helps you estimate the time remaining before your request is processed.
We are working diligently to reduce the turnaround times. If your request has not been processed after six (6) to eight (8) weeks, please call us at (360) 236-4300. We appreciate your patience, thank you.


The Center for Health Statistics can provide birth certificates for children born outside the United States if the child was adopted in a Washington State Superior Court (RCW 26.33.290 and 70.58.210). To get a birth certificate:

1. Send a certified copy of the adoption decree.

2. Complete the Application for Adoption Registration (DOH 422-040).

  • Non-refundable $15 processing fee to register the birth.

3.Complete a Birth Certificate Order Form (DOH 422-182) (en español). This application must be completed with the adoptee's name and the adoptive parents' names.

  • Non-refundable fee of $25* for each certified copy of the amended birth certificate.
  • Provide proof of identity and eligibility.

If the adoption decree was granted after January 1, 1985, it must provide the information specified in RCW 26.33.250:

  1. Adoptee’s full original name.
  2. Adoptee’s full new name, if changed.
  3. Adoptee’s date and place of birth.
  4. Full name of each petitioner.
  5. Whether the petitioner(s) is/are: married, stepparent, domestic partners, or a single parent

If the adoption decree was granted prior to January 1, 1985, the Center requires evidence of the child’s date and place of birth. (NOTE: Original documents are returned when the registration is complete.) Send only one of the following:

  1. certified copy of the original birth certificate.
  2. certified extraction/translation of the original birth certificate by a certified translator.
  3. An original or certified copy of record of United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (such as a birth data card).
  4. An original or certified copy of a United States Department of State document that gives both date and place of birth of the child.
  5. Other documents equivalent to the above, include:
  • Holt Adoption Agency papers (or from any other adoption agency) that include the original birth document.
  • Certificate of Acknowledgement signed by the minister of the interior of the country.
  • Any documents signed by the minister for foreign affairs of the country if they contain the child’s date and place of birth.
  • passport.

*You can combine the adoption registration and certificate fees in one payment.

Make check or money order payable to Department of Health.

Mailing address:

Attn: Adoptions
Center for Health Statistics
PO Box 9709
Olympia, WA 98507-9709

For questions contact our office at 360-236-4300.

Return to main Adoption page