The state licenses more than 90 hospitals in Washington to provide care within the minimum health and safety standards established by state law. The Department of Health is required to inspect these hospitals at regular intervals. Acute care hospitals are inspected every 18 months or, if accredited by another approved organization, every 36 months. Psychiatric and chemical dependency hospitals are inspected annually. Our inspection staff includes both nurses and public health advisors. Nurses assess the clinical aspects of the hospital and public health advisors inspect the physical aspects for environment of care issues.
- Frequently asked questions about hospital inspections
- What hospital staff should have available for inspectors when they arrive (PDF)
Acute Care Hospital Inspection Resources
- Infection control worksheets used by our inspection teams (PDF)
- Quality control worksheets used by our inspection teams (PDF)
- Care continuity worksheets used by our inspection teams (PDF)
- Recently inspected hospitals (PDF)
Private Psychiatric Hospitals
If your hospital was recently inspected we'd appreciate your feedback; please take a moment to complete an anonymous Web-based survey.