Materials for Healthcare Providers
- Pertussis: key messages for health care providers in Washington (PDF) (Department of Health)
- Pertussis letter to health care providers from Dr. Scott Lindquist (PDF) (Department of Health)
- Tdap ACIP recommendations for providers
- Health Care Providers: Protect your patients, your family, and yourself against pertussis. Get the Tdap vaccine! flyer (PDF)
- Pertussis chapter from CDC “Pink Book” Textbook. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, ed. Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases. 13th ed. Washington DC: Public Health Foundation, 2015.
- Pertussis Information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Recommended Antimicrobial Agents for the Treatment and Postexposure Prophylaxis of Pertussis,2005 CDC Guidelines. MMWR Recommendations and Reports, Dec. 9, 2005, 54(RR14); 1-16.
Healthcare Provider Pertussis-Related Education Opportunities
- Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases (Pink Book) Webinar Series
- Update on Pertussis Surveillance, 2012. Free on-demand webinar and materials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) National Immunization Conference.
- Pertussis provider trainings (CDC) -Medscape account required or access for free through CDC/Medscape portal
- Pertussis Testing Video: Collecting a Nasopharyngeal Swab Clinical Specimen (4:12 minutes, Date Released: 2/14/2011). This video demonstrates proper techniques for collecting and transporting a pertussis clinical specimen obtained by swabbing the posterior nasopharynx.
- CDC Commentary - Pertussis Diagnosis: Avoid the Pitfalls of PCR * (5:44 minutes, Date Released: 02/28/2011). Learn how to optimize the use of PCR testing for pertussis by avoiding some of the more common pitfalls leading to inaccurate results.
- CDC Commentary: Pertussis - Tdap: Now for Pregnant Women and 65 Plus* (4:11 minutes, Date Released: 10/31/2011). An overview of the latest recommendations for giving Tdap to pregnant women and those 65 years and older.
- CDC Commentary: Pertussis - Recognition and Treatment * (3:36 minutes, Date Released: 1/25/2010). Are you up-to-date on the recognition and treatment of pertussis?
- Ask the Experts: Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, 2011. CDC experts answer your clinical questions (Immunization Action Coalition).
- Pertussis, 2011. 1 hour self-study course with fee. The stated purpose of this course is to provide healthcare workers with information on the assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of pertussis. Private medical education company (NursingCEU.com)*.
- Disease Management Clinical Decisions: Pertussis, 2010. Web self-study directed to primary care physicians including family practitioners. Accredited for 0.25 AMA PRA Category 1 credits. Cleveland Clinic.
Links to external resources are provided as a public service, and do not imply endorsement by the Washington State Department of Health.