The law took effect on July 28, 2013, changing requirements for an adoptee to obtain their original (pre-adoption) birth certificate.
- As of July 1, 2014, all adoptees born in Washington State, 18 and older will have access to their original, noncertified birth record unless a birth parent files a contact preference form indicating they do not want the information released. You can request an original birth certificate by:
- Completing the Adoptee's Request for Original Birth Certificate from a Sealed File (DOH 422-102).
- Sending the non-refundable payment of $20 per copy.
- Sending a copy of your current state issued ID or passport. The ID must include your picture.
- Birth parents may file Contact Preference (DOH 422-110) and Birth Parent Medical History (DOH 422-111) forms with the Center for Health Statistics.
FAQs for Adoptees about the New Adoption Law
FAQs for Birth Parents about the New Adoption Law