Continuing Education FAQs
- How many hours of continuing education do I need to renew my optometrist license?
A licensed optometrist must complete and document fifty hours of continuing education every two years and comply with chapter 246-12 WAC, Part 7.
- Do I need to send copies of certificates of completion?
No. You must sign an affidavit of compliance every two years. You'll find the affidavit on your annual renewal notice. You must renew your license annually.
- How many continuing education hours am I required to take in person?
A minimum of 10 credit hours must be completed through synchronous in-person learning.
- May I count continuing education hours from one reporting period to the next reporting period?
No. You cannot carry over continuing education in excess of the required hours earned in a reporting period to the next reporting period (WAC 246-12-230).
- Where can I obtain free courses in Health Equity Continuing education?
Free courses and information pertaining to health equity continuing education are on our Health Equity Continuing Education webpage.
- If I don’t think I will be able to meet my continuing education requirements, may I get an extension of time to complete my continuing education requirements?
In WAC 246-836-080(7) allows naturopathic physicians to request an extension of continuing education requirements due to emergent or unusual circumstances. Such requests should be made several weeks before the due date to prevent delays in processing license renewals. Request must be made in writing and sent to the Board of Optometry program manager via email:
Washington Board of Optometry
P.O. Box 47852
Olympia, WA 98504-7852
- When will I be audited for continuing education?
Continuing education audits are random and fall in the month you renew your license. If you receive an audit letter, respond with appropriate copies of your continuing education documentation.
- Is there a tool to help track my continuing education?
The Association of Regulatory Boards of Optometry (ARBO) created OE TRACKER to capture and store continuing education data for optometrists. The information is retained in the ARBO database securely and permanently and can be accessed anytime online by you and your licensing board.
Features of OE TRACKER:
- Unlimited uploading of individual CE attendance certificates.
- E-mail notification when CE credits are uploaded into your account.
- Printable CE transcript to submit for license renewal, board certification/maintenance of certification, or credentialing renewal for hospital privileges.
If you have any questions or would like more information, contact ARBO at 866-869-6852 or 704-970-2710 or email ARBO,