- What do animal massage therapists do?
A certified animal massage therapist provides animal massage using a variety of techniques solely for the purpose of the well-being of an animal patient.
- What is included in the practice of a certified animal massage therapist?
A certified animal massage therapist provides massage to large or small animals. Animal massage may include techniques such as stroking, percussions, compressions, friction, Swedish gymnastics or movements, gliding, kneading or stretching. Massage may be provided with or without the aid of superficial heat, cold, water, lubricants or salts.
- Can a certified animal massage therapist diagnose or treat disease?
A certified animal massage therapist may not provide a diagnosis, prognosis, or treat any diseases, deformities, defects, wounds or injuries of animals. A therapist may not adjust or manipulate the animal's body or spine by use of a thrusting force, and may not use acupuncture involving the use of needles or any other procedure restricted to the field of veterinary medicine.
- What are the qualifications to become a certified animal massage therapist?
Successfully complete an approved 300-hour animal massage training program relating to either large or small animals.
Successfully complete the certification examination:
- To practice animal massage on large animals, successfully complete the National Certification Examination for Equine Massage.
- To practice animal massage on small animals, successfully complete the National Certification Examination for Canine Massage.
- Which animal massage schools are approved by the Department of Health?
- Northwest School of Animal Massage - small and large animal massage programs
- Langley Equine Studies, LLC - large animal program
- Rocky Mountain School of Animal Acupressure and Massage - small and large animal massage programs
- The Equine Natural Movement School - large animal massage program
- How may I apply?
Application forms and instructions are on the Applications and Forms webpage.
- How may I be involved and stay informed?
To get important information about the animal massage program, please select the green "Subscribe" button at the bottom of the page.