Cleaning is essential to protecting our health in our homes, schools and workplaces. However, household and cleaning products -- including soaps, bug killers, polishes and grooming supplies -- often include harmful chemicals. Even products advertised as “green” or “natural” may contain ingredients that can cause health problems. Some cleaning supplies can be flammable or corrosive. There are ways to limit your exposure to those risks.
How can you prevent harm from cleaning and household products?
- Follow the instructions on the label.
- Keep products out of the reach of children.
- Avoid products labeled “Danger” or “Poison.”
- Avoid using bug killer and “weed and feed” products.
- Dangers of Mixing Bleach
- Bug Bomb Hazards
- Buying Pesticides Online
- Grow Smart, Grow Safe - A garderner's guide
- Mosquito Repellent (PDF)