Many of your clients, including those with Medicaid coverage, have access to the Washington State Quitline service provider's Quit For Life® program. Uninsured and underinsured* Washingtonians are typically eligible for at least five counseling calls and two weeks of nicotine replacement therapy, courtesy of CDC grant funding. Regardless of insurance status, your clients can call 1-800-QUIT-NOW, text READY to 200-400, or go to quitline.com to start the Quitline registration process and learn about available services.
An evaluation of 2018-19 Quitline services (PDF) estimated that nearly 35 percent of participants had quit within seven months, and 4 in 5 participants were satisfied with their experience. The following free Quitline resources can help you help your clients live longer, healthier lives:
- Online referral tool (click ‘Refer A Patient' at the top-right)
- Online training, Register and sign up for Optum Health’s free online training. Once you’ve registered look for Tobacco and Behavioral Health: Helping Your Clients Quit. There are 5-, 15-, and 45-minute options.
- Provider reference guide (PDF)
- Current coverage, by insurance status (PDF)
- Fax referral form (PDF)
- FAQs from providers (PDF)
- Promotional materials
- Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW to request a free shipment of 250 wallet cards and 50 rack cards (front side pictured) to give to your clients
The Quitline can also accept referrals via email and electronic health record submission. Email the DOH Commercial Tobacco Prevention Program for questions about setting up an electronic referral (“e-referral”) process.
Current Quitline utilization data are available on the Washington State Quitline utilization dashboard.
* Underinsured in this instance is defined as having a health plan without a tobacco cessation telephone counseling benefit (see Insurance coverage and billing).