Data, Maps and Other Resources
The Washington State Office of Community Health Systems, Rural Health section studies healthcare access and overall health in rural areas.
Healthcare Professional Shortage Area Maps
Medically Underserved Area and Population Map
Rural Health systems Research
Rural/Urban Definitions – What is rural?
Rural is defined in many different ways. The Department of Health document Rural Urban Classification System (PDF) provides guidelines for using rural urban classification systems for public health assessment.
Sub-County Level: Zip Code and Census Tract
Rural-Urban Commuting Area (RUCA) codes are the current "state-of-the-art" tool for classifying rural areas. The spreadsheets contain secondary RUCA codes that are based on Census 2010.
County Level Rural-Urban Classification Systems
The county level definition combines classification systems from several state and federal agencies to determine rural-urban status:
Additional Health Data
- Publications/Additional Information
Below are several resources and publications, focusing on health and health related profile of rural populations, available from internal and external sources.
- Critical Access Hospital Charges, Due to Potentially Avoidable Hospitalizations, by Primary Payer Types: Washington State 2005-2014 (PDF)
- Four-tier Rurality Scheme Map (PDF)
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR). Rural Health Series
- Rural and Urban Counties Map (PDF)
- Rural Washington: Closing Health Disparities 2012-2015 (PDF)
- The Gap in Healthcare Insurance Coverage in Washington State 2011-2015 (PDF)
- Rural Health Clinic Dental Services Toolkit (PDF)
Contact the rural health epidemiologist at 360-236-2870 for more information about these reports and other rural health systems research.
- Videos about working at a hospital or clinic, as a paramedic or volunteering in EMS and fire services
The Washington State Office of Rural Health and Primary Care Office support health systems planning and development in Washington's rural and underserved communities to improve health and healthcare across the life span.
- Financial Webinar Series: Rural Hospital and Rural Clinic
The State Office of Rural (SORH) at the Washington State Department of Health has partnered with Stroudwater Associates to offer to our rural hospitals and clinics a series of financial, operational, and strategic improvement topics in a Webinar format.
Webinar 2—Primary Care Options in Rural Healthcare
Webinar 3 — Market Analytics to Drive Decision Making
Webinar 5 — Washington RHC Legislative Update
Webinar 6 — Impact of Cost Report on CAH Decision Making
Webinar 7 — CAH Financial and Operational Best Practices
Webinar 8 – Swing Bed Development
- Critical Access and Rural Hospitals Annual Profiles
These snapshot profiles provide an understanding of each hospital and the services they offer.
Healthcare Access Reports
The healthcare access reports are informational reports collected as part of the Medicaid Provider Access Assessment. They are a snapshot overview of county-level workforce data, highlighting areas in Washington where a shortage of healthcare providers, servicing our undeserved, underprivileged populations, may exist. Reports are published as they are completed.
- Rural counties
- Urban counties
- Thurston (PDF)