HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) Training
HACCP training is a pre-requisite requirement before obtaining a shellfish dealer (shellstock shipper or shucker-packer) license from the Department of Health (DOH).
Upcoming DOH HACCP class schedule (2-day class held in Olympia/Shelton area):
- August 23-24, 2023 (register by Monday, July 24, 2023)
- November 8-9, 2023 (register by Monday, October 9, 2023)
- January 17-18, 2024 (register by Monday, December 18, 2023)
- April 17-18, 2024 (register by Monday, March 18, 2024)
- August 7-8, 2024 (register by Monday, July 8, 2024)
An online course must be taken before taking our HACCP training. Follow these steps:
1. Before you take the DOH HACCP training, complete Cornell Cooperative Extension's online course Seafood HACCP, Online Training Course (Segment One). This class teaches you the fundamentals of HACCP and is necessary before learning about molluscan bivalve shellfish HACCP, taught by DOH. The online training course costs $75 and is self-paced. This training takes learners an average of 10 hours to complete, but please register at least 2-3 weeks before the DOH training to allow time for access and completion. Don't wait until the week of DOH training to sign up and take the online Cornell course.
2. Fill out our HACCP Training Registration Form (Word) and pay your fees by mailing a check (with registration form). The registration fee is $50 and covers the cost of materials given to each participant. The fee is non-refundable and only applies to the date you register for. Fill out this form and mail it, along with the $50 per person registration fee, to:
Department of Health, Accounts Receivable, PO Box 1099, Olympia, WA 98507-1099
Also email a copy of the form to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can track registrations in real time. Registration is open until filled, up to 30 days prior to each class date. Within 30 days of the class date, we may accept registrations on a case-by-case basis.
For questions about this class or the requirements for eligibility contact us at email@example.com or call 360-236-3330.
All individuals involved in manufacturing, processing, packing, or holding shellfish are required to complete educational training (per the National Shellfish Sanitation Program's Guide for the Control of Molluscan Shellfish). This training needs to be completed prior to receiving a Washington State Shellfish Dealer License or within 30 days of hire. Once you have passed the online quiz, print out the "Congratulations! You have passed the quiz," screen and keep it for our inspectors to review during site visits.
Shellfish harvester training is required for all licensed harvesters (HA) to meet the National Shellfish Sanitation Program Model Ordinance Chapter XIII .01 B. At least one individual from your shellfish operation must take the online training and pass the quiz. Once you have passed the online quiz, print out the "Congratulations! You have passed the quiz," screen and keep it for our inspectors to review during site visits.
Vibrio parahaemolyticus Training
This training is required for all licensees that harvest or sell shellstock oysters during the months of May through September. If you have not taken the training since the Vibrio parahaemolyticus control plan rule (WAC 246-282-006) was revised in 2015, the training is required prior to harvesting or selling shellstock oysters between May-September. The individual responsible for the management of oyster harvest activities must have taken the Department of Health training or be trained by an individual at your operation that took the training. There is no cost for taking this training.
This training class is offered via online Zoom meeting. In order to take this class, you will need dependable high-speed internet access. You will need to be at a computer so that you can see the presentations and be able to interact with tests, polls, chats, and question and answer sessions.
Thursday, June 1, 2023
Time: 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Join the June 1 Zoom Meeting
Wednesday, June 7, 2023
Time: 9:30 – 11:00 a.m.
Join the June 7, 2023 Zoom Meeting
If you have questions about this training, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 360-236-3330.