Notice: Maternal and Child Health Assessment published this report as a single document in April 2006. In 2009, we began updating chapters on a rotating basis. The date of the most recent update is listed next to each section.
The Maternal and Child Health Data Report is a resource primarily for public health professionals on the health status of pregnant women, infants, children and adolescents in Washington State. The Health Resources and Services Administration, the federal granting agency for the Title V Maternal and Child Health Block Grant, requires annual reporting of a number of health measures. These performances measures track the health status of the maternal and child health population (see Appendices B and C). This report attempts to put these measures into broader context and to use this information to develop and evaluate programs and policies. Chapters are designed to be used individually as fact sheets or together. Chapters will be updated periodically as new data is available.
The initial chapter, titled "Population Tables (PDF)," contains county-specific population information as well as trend tables of pregnancy outcomes and infant and child mortality. Other chapters focus on topics relevant to the Maternal and Child Health population. The chapters rely on graphs and charts to provide a snapshot of the Washington State population. Each chapter describes the Maternal and Child Health population overall and by county, age, gender, race and ethnicity. We include Medicaid status where available.
We also include some maps of perinatal services and health provider shortage areas, and three Appendices. Appendix A includes technical notes on the data sources used, analytic definitions and statistical information. Appendices B and C include information on the Maternal and Child Health Block Grant priorities as well as the required performance and outcome measures.
The internet links and other resources were current as of the date of publication.
Unless otherwise noted, all materials and forms on this page are in PDF format.
Health Outcomes and Health Behaviors (Chapters)
- Alcohol Use Before and During Pregnancy (PDF) October 2022
- Breastfeeding (PDF) November 2022
- Food Insecurity and Hunger (PDF) March 2018
- Infant Mortality (PDF) November 2022
- Infant Sleep Position (PDF) January 2021
- Intentional Injury (Mortality & Hospitalizations) (PDF) March 2018
- Low Birth Weight (PDF) October 2022
- Oral Health (PDF) November 2022
- Perinatal Multivitamin Use (PDF) January 2021
- Postpartum Birth Control (PDF) January 2021
- Prenatal Care (PDF) November 2022
- Preterm Delivery (PDF) November 2022
- Smoking During Pregnancy (PDF) November 2022
- Teen Pregnancy and Childbearing (PDF) November 2022
- Unintentional Injury (Mortality & Hospitalization) (PDF) March 2018