Safe Medication Return is funded by manufacturers of covered drugs and implemented by program operators according to plans approved by the Department of Health.
- Program Operators
- place and maintain drug collection kiosks.
- provide free, prepaid, preaddressed mail-back envelopes and packages.
- organize, manage, and fund take-back events.
- package, transport, and dispose of collected drugs.
- make sure the public, pharmacists, and other health care professionals understand why and how to safely dispose of household over-the-counter and prescription and over-the-counter medications (including medications for household pets).
- provide reports to the department
- coordinate to provide a website and toll-free number where people can locate all kiosks and mailer distributors, order mail-back supplies, ask questions, and find information about disposing of medication appropriately.
844-482-5322 (844-4TAKE-BACK) TTY 711
- Approved Program Plans
- MED-Project approved program plan (PDF)
- Inmar Intelligence, Inc. approved program plan (PDF). The department approved Inmar’s plan May 13, 2022. Inmar will fully implement their plan by November 9, 2022.
- Proposed Program Plans
The department will review new proposals from potential program operators beginning July 1, 2024. To submit a proposal, email us a program operator application and your proposal.
Beginning July 1, 2024, the department will also review updated plans from current approved program operators.
- Program Operator Reports
MED-Project 2019 Annual Report (PDF) Does not include operational information since plan was approved in 2020.
MED-Project plan was approved May 25, 2020 and fully implemented November 21, 2020.
Note: Collection reports do not include weight of covered drugs collected through mailers or drug take-back events.