Chapter 246-215 WAC- Food Service
Washington State Board of Health adopted proposed changes to chapter 246-215 WAC, Food Service, on October 13, 2020. The adopted revisions incorporate the 2017 U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Food Code with Washington modifications that address legislative changes and food safety issues raised by stakeholders.
Based on stakeholder input, the food service rule becomes effective with a staggered timeline.
- Effective January 15, 2021: Rule sections addressing legislative changes
- Effective March 1, 2022: All remaining provisions of the rule excluding the Certified Food Protection Manager certification requirement
- Effective March 1, 2023: Certified Food Protection Manager certification requirement
Major provisions of the adopted rule include:
- Active Managerial Control and the duties of the Person in Charge.
- Certified Food Protection Manager requirements.
- Refilling reusable consumer-owned containers.
- Date marking for 7-day shelf life of unpackaged refrigerated foods.
- Employee health, illness and hygiene.
- Clean up procedures for vomit and diarrhea.
- Allowable bare hand contact with ready-to-eat food.
- Mobile food unit requirements, including commissaries and plan review.
- Donated food operating requirements, facility clarifications, and modifications to food source.
- Cooking temperatures for poultry and ground meat.
- Modification of consumer advisory and requirements for parasite reduction in fresh fish.
- Dogs in select indoor and outdoor areas of food establishments.
Retail Food Code, Chapter 246-215 WAC - Effective January 15, 2021 (PDF)
Retail Food Code, Chapter 246-215 WAC - Effective March 1, 2022 (PDF)
Concise Explanatory Statement, Chapter 246-215 WAC (PDF)
CR-103 Final Rule-Making Order (PDF)
Significant Analysis (PDF)
Draft Tracked Changes for Review, Chapter 246-215 WAC (PDF)
Summary of Changes to Chapter 246-215 WAC (PDF)
Top 10 Changes to Chapter 246-215 WAC (PDF)
|CR 101 filed
||July 2, 2018
|Collection of stakeholder recommendations on potential rulemaking amendments
||July 12 - August 29, 2018
|Department analyze recommendations for potential revision
||August - September 2018
|Department to work with Food Safety Advisory Council on possible amendments
||September 2018 - March 2019
|Public presentations and comments on proposed changes
||June - July 31, 2019
|State Board of Health briefing
||April 8, 2020
|CR 102 Filed
||July 22, 2020
|Written public comment submission closes
||September 29, 2020
|Public hearing (virtual only)
||October 13, 2020
|CR 103 filed
||December 15, 2020
|Rule effective date
||Staggered (see above)
Subscribe to Email Updates for Retail Food Code Stakeholders
For More Information
Susan Shelton, Food Safety Program, 509-212-1206