The medical cannabis law integrates the medical market with the regulated market. The department has rule-making authority over three main components of the law:
- Authorization Database – chapter 246-71 WAC
- Consultant Certification Program – chapter 246-72 WAC
- Cannabis Product Compliance – chapter 246-70 WAC
Rules in Progress
A CR-101 has been filed for chapter 246-70 WAC, Cannabis Product Compliance - The department is opening this chapter to update the term "marijuana" to "cannabis," review the classifications for compliant product, examine compliant product labeling, and align quality assurance standards with the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board.
- Rules filed under WSR 22-23-001 (PDF)
- The Medical Cannabis Program will be holding workshops and interested party meetings during the course of this rule making. Additional information will be provided shortly.
- Email us with any questions regarding this rule making.
- Expedited Rule Making chapters 246-71 WAC, Medical Cannabis Authorization database and 246-72 WAC, Medical Cannabis Consultant Certificate - Replacing the word “marijuana” with “cannabis” in response to passage of Second Substitute House Bill 1210.
- Rules adopted under WSR 22-18-086 (PDF)
- Final extension of emergency rule to temporary suspend the skills demonstration portion of the cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) requirement to obtain a medical cannabis consultant certification (effective April 18, 2022 – expires after 120 days).
- Rules adopted under WSR 22-09-060 (PDF)
- Implementing House Bill 1094 (effective November 1, 2019)
- Rules adopted under WSR 19-22-047
- Cannabis heavy metal testing requirements (effective April 18, 2019 - expires after 120 days)
- Rules adopted under WSR 19-04-010
- Database and Consultant Certification (effective April 12, 2018)
- Rules adopted under WSR 18-07-030
- Permanent Rule Change for Chapter 246-72 WAC - Medical Cannabis Consultant Certificate Rules adopted under WSR 22-11-015 (PDF).
Check back periodically for updates or select the "Subscribe" button at the bottom of this page, search for Health Systems Quality Assurance > Health Professions and select Medical Cannabis Program.