Last revised date: March 25, 2022
The Certificate of Need (CN) program is a regulatory process that requires certain healthcare providers to obtain state approval before building certain types of facilities or offering new or expanded services.
Program staff members are available to provide technical assistance to you before submitting your application. Staff members are also available to help you determine if a Certificate of Need is necessary.
If you don't see a form for the type of project you are proposing contact program staff members.
Ambulatory surgical facility/center
End stage renal disease or kidney dialysis (WAC 246-310-800 – 833)
- Acute care hospital, including addenda for hospital tertiary services, updated September 2020 (PDF)
- Acute hospital exemption (RCW 70.41) – Bed addition for psychiatric beds under RCW 70.38.260(2), updated November 2021 (PDF) valid through June 30, 2023
- Private psychiatric hospital exemption (RCW 71.12) – One-time 30-bed addition under RCW 70.38.260(3), updated November 2021 (PDF) valid through June 30, 2023 Psychiatric hospital exemption (RCW 71.12) – New 16-bed hospital under RCW 70.38.260(4), updated November 2021 (PDF) valid through June 30, 2023
- Hospital lease – July 2014 (PDF)
- Hospital purchase – July 2014 (PDF)
- Alternative use/bed banking, updated February 2022 (PDF)
- Alternative use/bed banking extension (PDF)
- Bed conversion (PDF)
- Bed modification (PDF)
- Full facility closure/bed banking, updated February 2022 (PDF)
- Replacement authorization, updated February 2022 (PDF)
- Renovation authorization, updated February 2022 (PDF)
Certificate of Need (CoN) applications require a degree of detail to be complete. In an effort to provide additional resources outside of our office staff, the Department of Health provides the following list as a convenience to you (PDF). This listing isn't intended to be an exclusive list of all consultants available in the area of CoN services. By providing these names, the agency isn't indicating an endorsement. Neither the Department of Health nor the CoN program will involve themselves in any issues relating to dissatisfaction regarding a consultant's performance.
Contact and connect
- CN program contact and mailing information
- To receive Certificate of Need information, select the "Subscribe" button at the bottom of the page.