Notice: Maternal and Child Health Assessment published this report as a single document in April 2006. In 2009, we began updating chapters on a rotating basis. The date of the most recent update is listed next to each section.
The Maternal and Child Health Data Report is a resource primarily for public health professionals on the health status of pregnant women, infants, children and adolescents in Washington State. The Health Resources and Services Administration, the federal granting agency for the Title V Maternal and Child Health Block Grant, requires annual reporting of a number of health measures. These performances measures track the health status of the maternal and child health population (see Appendices B and C). This report attempts to put these measures into broader context and to use this information to develop and evaluate programs and policies. Chapters are designed to be used individually as fact sheets or together. Chapters will be updated periodically as new data is available.
The initial chapter, titled "Population Tables (PDF)," contains county-specific population information as well as trend tables of pregnancy outcomes and infant and child mortality. Other chapters focus on topics relevant to the Maternal and Child Health population. The chapters rely on graphs and charts to provide a snapshot of the Washington State population. Each chapter describes the Maternal and Child Health population overall and by county, age, gender, race and ethnicity. We include Medicaid status where available.
We also include some maps of perinatal services and health provider shortage areas, and three Appendices. Appendix A includes technical notes on the data sources used, analytic definitions and statistical information. Appendices B and C include information on the Maternal and Child Health Block Grant priorities as well as the required performance and outcome measures.
The following chapters are separate PDF files that can be printed as needed (requires free Acrobat Reader). Please send questions or comments about this report via email to: Justin.Weisser@doh.wa.gov.
The internet links and other resources were current as of the date of publication.
Unless otherwise noted, all materials and forms on this page are in PDF format.
- Population Tables
Health Outcomes and Health Behaviors (Chapters)
- Alcohol Use Before and During Pregnancy (PDF) June 2014
- Asthma (PDF) January 2016
- Breastfeeding (PDF) May 2017
- Child Mortality (PDF) October 2013
- Child Weight and Physical Activity (PDF) October 2013
- Family Violence (PDF) May 2016
- Food Insecurity and Hunger (PDF) March 2018
- Immunizations/Vaccine Preventable Diseases (PDF) July 2011
- Infant Mortality (PDF) June 2014
- Infant Sleep Position (PDF) January 2021
- Intentional Injury (Mortality & Hospitalizations) (PDF) March 2018
- Low Birth Weight (PDF) May 2015
- Mental Health (PDF) January 2016
- Oral Health (PDF) January 2006
- Perinatal Multivitamin Use (PDF) January 2021
- Postpartum Birth Control (PDF) January 2021
- Prenatal Care (PDF) June 2014
- Preterm Delivery (PDF) May 2015
- Smoking During Pregnancy (PDF) June 2014
- Special Health Care Needs and Disabilities (PDF) December 2010
- Substance Use in Adolescents (PDF) March 2018
- Teen Pregnancy and Childbearing (PDF) March 2014
- Unintended Pregnancy (PDF) December 2010
- Unintentional Injury (Mortality & Hospitalization) (PDF) March 2018
- Appendix A: Technical Notes (PDF) December 2010
- Appendix B: MCH Priorities (PDF) July 2011
- Appendix C: National and State Performance Measures (PDF) July 2011