Applying to CRS | Applications | Certificate of Need (CoN) | Desk Reference Manuals | Local AHJ (courtesy of WABO) | Plan Review Fee
Plan Review Fees
Before review can begin, a Construction Review Services (CRS) application must be received with the appropriate fee based on the following services.
If this application is for Plan Review, the project is either:
- New construction or alterations/renovations
Plan review fees for new construction or alterations/renovations are based upon the initial project cost as determined from the construction fee table in the "plan review fees" dropdown. The project cost must be based on all costs directly associated with the project except state sales taxes, architectural or engineering fees and land acquisition fees. These costs must include all building costs, all fixed and installed equipment in the project and contractor supervision, inspection and overhead (Chapter 246-314 WAC (Word).
After you have determined your estimated construction cost or value of existing construction (building conversion) per WAC 246-314-990, use this table to calculate your plan review fee.
Project Cost Project Review Fee $0 to $999 $150 $1,000 to $1,999 $305 $2,000 to $2,999 $400 $3,000 to $4,999 $500 $5,000 to $9,999 $650 $10,000 to $19,999 $815 $20,000 to $29,999 $1,000 $30,000 to $39,999 $1,190 $40,000 to $49,999 $1,375 $50,000 to $64,999 $1,620 $65,000 to $79,999 $1,875 $80,000 to $99,999 $2,250 $100,000 to $124,999 $2,690 $125,000 to $149,999 $3,120 $150,000 to $199,999 $3,625 $200,000 to $249,999 $4,060 $250,000 to $324,999 $4,455 $325,000 to $449,999 $5,000 $450,000 to $574,999 $5,615 $575,000 to $699,999 $6,350 $700,000 to $849,999 $7,110 $850,000 to $999,999 $7,995 $1,000,000 to $1,249,999 $8,725 $1,250,000 to $2,499,999 $9,560 $2,500,000 to $2,999,999 $10,430 $3,000,000 to $3,499,999 $11,350 $3,500,000 to $4,999,999 $13,115 $5,000,000 to $6,999,999 $14,885 $7,000,000 to $9,999,999 $16,840 $10,000,000 to $14,999,999 $19,340 $15,000,000 to $19,999,999 $21,780 $20,000,000 to $29,999,999 $24,280 $30,000,000 to $39,999,999 $28,060 $40,000,000 to $59,999,999 $31,235 $60,000,000 and over $31,235 Plus 0.05% per dollar above 60 million
Building Conversion – Fees are based on the value of existing construction (per sq. ft.). A conversion is an existing non-licensed facility wishing to be licensed.
- Building Conversions
Building conversion fees will be based on the value of existing construction, which is based on the local area cost data. Project sponsors may submit specific cost data that accurately describes the estimated good faith value for the program's consideration. We generally find that the state average cost data is sufficient for most projects. This data was reviewed and updated in November 2014.
The project sponsor may use the following data to determine the value of the building:
Department of Health-Licensed Facilities
Hospital (acute care) – $250 per square foot
Psychiatric Hospital – $160 per square foot
Outpatient clinic (under hospital license) – $120 per square foot
Ambulatory surgery facility – $150 per square foot
Residential treatment facility – $110 per square foot
Other facility types – $ 90 per square foot
Department of Social and Health Services-Licensed Facilities
Nursing home – $160 per square foot
Assisted living facility – $130 per square foot
Enhanced services facility: Call CRS staff members at 360-236-2944 before submitting application and fee to determine the specific type of enhanced services license being requested.
Assisted living facilities – $130 per square foot Nursing homes – $160 per square foot Adult family homes –$110 per square foot.
Other facility types – $90 per square foot
Once the value of the building has been determined (by multiplying the costs above by the square footage of the licensed area) the fee is derived from the construction fee table located under the "New construction or alterations/renovations" dropdown on this page.
- Flat Fees
The program charges a flat fee for the review of the following projects:
Installation of Finishes - $150
- These projects require no physical modifications and include the installation of finishes such as carpet, vinyl wall covering, wallpaper, exterior siding, or paneling applied to an existing surface as the exposed surface.
Change of Approved Use - $150
- Change in the function of a room that does not alter the physical elements and construction is not required to meet the regulations for the intended use (i.e., patient room to office). The facility must be currently licensed.
Mobile Units - A separate fee is required for the mobile unit and the site installation of that mobile unit.
- Site Installation. The first submission for review and approval of the site installation of a mobile unit - $575
Each additional submission of the same project - $285
- Equipment Supplier. The first submission for review and approval of the equipment supplier of a mobile unit - $575
Each additional submission of the same project - $285
Technical Assistance - Each eight staff hours or fraction thereof for technical assistance - $500.00
- For technical assistance requiring travel, the program may increase the fee to include travel.
- Fee Reductions
A request for a fee reduction* may be sent by email, or mail to Construction Review Services. The program will review the request and make a determination on the total reduction allowed by rule.
The project may qualify for a decrease in the project review fees, when:
- Upon prior approval by the program, the project sponsor may exclude from the "project cost" the cost for fixed or installed technologically advanced clinical equipment such as but not limited to: Lithotripters, CT scans, linear accelerators, and MRIs. In your request, please include an itemized list of the equipment and their associated cost(s) that you would like to exclude from the estimated project cost. To assist in expediting the process, please include a copy of your equipment estimate.
- The project is prepared by a state licensed architect or engineer when architectural or engineering services are not required by rule.
- A facility is converted from another occupancy as defined by the state building code; a facility is converted from one license to another; or, a facility that is currently unlicensed, but was previously licensed through the Department of Health or Department of Social and Health Services, wishes to be reviewed for re-licensure. The amount of fee reduction will be determined by the estimated amount of systems review required to ensure that the rules have been met.
* Fee waiver/fee reduction request form (Word) - Please include a copy of your equipment estimate to expedite the request process.