Athletic Trainer Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

General FAQs

I'm nationally certified, do I need a Washington license in order to work?

Yes, a license is required to practice in Washington effective July 1, 2008.

How do I apply for a license?

Application forms are on the Applications and Forms webpage.

How much does it cost to get a license?

Information about the fee schedule is posted on the Fees webpage.

What is the renewal process?

Six to eight weeks prior to your birthday a courtesy reminder will be mailed to your address on record. Renewal payment must be received by the department or postmarked on or before your birth date. The renewal notice isn't required to renew. Contact the Customer Service Center at 360-236-4700 if you have questions regarding your renewal process.

I travel out of state with my team. Is my license valid in other states?

It depends on the state to which you're traveling, and whether a license is required. Check that state's specific laws regarding practicing athletic training in that state.

Is there an exam I need to take?

Yes, The Board of Certification for Athletic Trainers (BOC) examination is the required examination for getting a license.

I'm currently licensed as an athletic trainer in another state, may I practice in Washington?

RCW 18.250.050 indicates an athletic trainer from another state for purposes of continuing education, consulting or performing athletic training services while accompanying his or her group, individual or representatives into Washington State on a temporary basis for no more than 90 days in a calendar year isn't required to hold a license in Washington.

Continuing Education FAQs

Is continuing education required?

Yes. Beginning July 1, 2016, athletic trainers are required to complete 50 hours of continuing education (CE) every two years. Athletic trainers must meet the CE requirement during the first full two-year period after July 1, 2016. CE requirements are outlined in WAC 246-916-060 and WAC 246-12, Part 7.

Where do I find information on continuing education requirements for athletic trainers?

WAC 246-916-060 outlines continuing education requirements for athletic trainers. WAC 246-12 Part 7 outlines general requirements that apply to all professions.

When do the continuing education requirements for athletic trainers go into effect?

Athletic trainers must report continuing education hours at renewal after the first full reporting period after July 1, 2016.

How many hours of continuing education do I need?

Athletic trainers must take 50 hours of continuing education every two years.

How do I know when my continuing education hours are due?

You'll receive a notice on your renewal card when you're required to report continuing education hours. In addition, your due date is listed on Provider Credential Search.

Athletic trainers don't have to report continuing education until the first full two-year period after July 1, 2016. For example, if your annual renewal date is February 5, you'll attest to completing continuing education hours when you renew in 2019. If your annual renewal date is July 29, you'll attest to completing continuing education hours when you renew in 2018.

How do I attest to completing my continuing education hours?

You must attest to meeting the requirements of WAC 246-916-060 every two years when you renew your credential. You may attest online if renewing online or by signature if renewing by mail.

How do I know what courses are acceptable?

Acceptable courses must be from the categories listed in WAC 246-916-060. Documentation requirements are listed for each category. You're required to have at least one hour of infection control education per three-year period.

What happens if I'm audited?

If you're audited, you'll receive a letter from the Department of Health. You must send documentation of all courses for the two-year continuing education cycle.

How long do I have to keep proof of my continuing education courses?

Per WAC 246-12 Part 7, you must keep documentation for four years.