Apply for a License
Registration Application (PDF) – includes all instructions for completion of application
- See fee information below
Non-Refundable Fee Type Fee Amount Application - registration $175 Renewal of registration* $155 Registration late renewal penalty $80 Expired registration re-issuance $60 Duplicate license $10 Verification of license $25
* Please note there is an error in the current rule language stating renewal is due on the licensee's birthday. This was an inadvertent change that doesn't work since this isn't an individual license, so the department will continue to process renewals every year on the date of issuance as the previous rule directed. This error will be corrected in future rule making.
Fees submitted with applications for initial credentialing, examinations, renewal and other fees associated with the licensing and regulation of the profession are nonrefundable.
- Make checks or money orders payable to the Department of Health.
- Practitioners should include their credential number on the check, draft or money order.
- Applicants should include profession for which they are applying on the check, draft or money order.
- Send check, draft or money order to:
Department of Health
Health Systems Quality Assurance
P.O. Box 1099
Olympia, WA 98507-1099
- See requirements below
Verification documentsApplicant must provide corporate certificate number collected, and a copy of articles of incorporation and by-laws. If corporation is out of state, a copy of the form titled “Certificate of Authority to do Business in Washington” as on file with the Washington State Secretary of State's Office and copy of current by-laws. Copy of liability insurance policy.
State license verification
Applicants must list all states where they do or did hold credentials. This list must also include when the applicant has applied for a credential, even if a credential was not granted. The jurisdiction where the applicant is or was credentialed must complete and submit the verification form (PDF). The jurisdiction must send the completed form directly to the department.
Personal data questions
Each applicant must answer the personal data questions. If there is a positive answer to the professional liability claims history question, the applicant must send an explanation of the nature of the case, data and summary of care given, copies of the original complaint, and the settlement or final disposition. If a case is pending, applicant must indicate status.
Additional information/documents required
Applicants must acknowledge that they will do criminal background checks on all healthcare providers before referring to a facility.
Process for approving/denying applications
We finish final review for approval after a credentialing specialist verifies that the application is fully complete, and complies with requirements in chapter 18.52C RCW and chapter 246-845 WAC. We complete background checks and make sure applicants have submitted required fees. Credentialing supervisors and lead workers have the authority to approve routine applications. The disciplining authority may conduct further review if the credentialing supervisor can't verify the applicant meets all requirements. We'll formally notify applicants of a denial. Those applicants may request a hearing to appeal the decision.
Before expiration, nursing pool registrations must be renewed every year on the date of original issuance. They're required to submit the appropriate fee, renewal card and background check compliance affidavit.
- See renewal information below
Is your contact information current?
In order to serve you better, we must have your correct mailing address in our system. This is especially important because we mail your courtesy renewal notice and updated credential to the address on file. The U.S. Postal Service does not forward Department of Health mail. If your contact information is not current in our system, please complete and submit the contact information change form. If you have questions, feel free to contact our staff.
How to renew
By mailWith renewal notice Without renewal notice
If you have questions about the renewal process, see our Frequently Asked Questions.
OnlineOnline renewal is not available for this profession.
In personRenew in person at our Tumwater location.
Helpful Links to Register as a Nursing Pool
- See helpful links below
Registration with the Department of Health will ensure that your Nursing Pool is registered. You may also contact the Department of Licensing to get a business license, the Washington State Patrol to perform criminal background checks and the Internal Revenue Service to get a tax I.D. number.
- Washington State Patrol – Criminal background checks
- Department of Licensing – Business license center
- Federal Tax ID Number – Get your tax identification number
- Secretary of State – File your Articles of Incorporation (if incorporating)
- Business information on tax identification – Department of Revenue Doing Business website