The Infection Control Assessment and Response (ICAR) Program offers healthcare facilities the opportunity to participate in a consultative review of infection prevention practices.
What is an ICAR Assessment?
ICAR assessments are:
- Customized to assess infection prevention strengths and opportunities on a variety of infection prevention and control topics
- Conducted by Infection Preventionists from the Washington State Department of Health that are Certified in Infection Control (CIC) or have received education in infection prevention
- Focused on education and offer the most up-to-date infection prevention resources
Can my facility get an ICAR?
HAI and COVID-19 ICARs are available for a variety of healthcare settings:
- Long-term care
- Dental, TBA
- Oncology, TBA
What will we get?
Facilities will gain:
- An in-person assessment that is consultative and non-regulatory
- Tailored resources, tools, and training
- Ongoing consultation with an infection preventionist from the Washington State Department of Health
- A sustainable partnership for ongoing improvement
How long does it take?
The ICAR visits take approximately 2 hours and covers the following topics:
- Hand hygiene
- Isolation procedures
- Environmental cleaning
- Employee safety
- Antimicrobial stewardship
- Injection safety
- High-level disinfection and sterilization practices
- Surveillance activities
How to prepare for an assessment
To view a sampling of the great resources provided during ICAR assessments, check out our all-in-one Infection Prevention Resources (PDF).
To prepare for your ICAR assessment, please view our preparations guide
- What to expect on your ICAR for Long Term Care Facilities (PDF)
- What to expect on your ICAR for Dialysis (PDF)
- What to expect on your ICAR for Dental Facilities (PDF)
- Infection Control Assessment Tool for Acute Care Hospitals pdf
- Infection Control Assessment Tool for Long-term Care Facilities pdf
- Infection Control Assessment Tool for Outpatient Settings pdf
- Infection Control Assessment Tool for Hemodialysis Facilities pdf