A geographic information system (GIS), is an information system for capturing, storing, analyzing, managing and presenting data which is spatially referenced.
The GIS at Department of Health assists staff across the agency in our mission of protecting public health.
Here are some types of questions that GIS helps us answer:
- Is there a cancer cluster in my neighborhood?
- Is it safe to eat clams from my beach?
- What areas in the State need doctors?
- Where is the closest pharmacy taking Medicare?
- Is it safe to swim in a particular lake?
- Are there any fish consumption advisories in my area?
GIS Questions? - Email us