Washington State Legislation
The Revised Code of Washington (RCW) is the list of laws in effect. The Washington State Legislature writes the laws that are in the RCW. An RCW give state agencies the authority to administer rules. The Washington Administrative Code (WAC) is the list of rules that state agencies administer. A Sunrise Review is an evaluation of a proposal to change the laws regulating health professionals in Washington.
The Access Washington webpages have information about Washington State laws and rules, as well as how a bill becomes a law. The RCW and WAC that relate to genetic services and screening for hearing loss include:
|Genetics laws and rules||RCW||WAC|
|Down Syndrome Resources for Parents|
|Birthing Centers||RCW 18.46|
|Osteopathic Physician Assistants||RCW 18.57A|
|Physican Assistants||RCW 18.71A|
|Genetic Counselors||RCW 18.290|
|The Department of Health||RCW 43.70.738|
|Prenatal Testing: Use and Availability||RCW 70.54.220||WAC 246-680|
|Prenatal Testing: Coverage||RCW 48.42.090|
|Prenatal Diagnosis: Benefits||RCW 48.44.344||WAC 246-680|
|Newborn Screening||RCW 70.83||WAC 246-650|
|Newborn Hearing Screening||No laws or rules.||Encouraged by Washington State Board of Health.|
|Cord Blood Banking||RCW 70.54.220||Rules not yet adopted.|
|Genetic Testing and Employment||RCW 49.44.180|
|Healthcare Information Access and Disclosure||RCW 70.02|
|Consanguinity (Prohibited Marriages)||RCW 26.04.020|
|Paternity Testing||RCW 26.26 (400-450)|
|Uniform Parentage||RCW 26.26 (710)|
|Genetic Counseling Licensure||RCW 18.290||WAC 246-825|
|Guaranteed Issue of Health Insurance||RCW 48.43.035|
The federal laws that relate to genetic services and screening for hearing loss include:
Public Law Number:
|Prenatally and Postnatally Diagnosed Conditions Awareness Act||110-374|
|Genetic Information Non-discrimination Act (GINA)||110-233|
|Newborn Screening Saves Lives Act||110-204|
|Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Act||109-129|
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
|Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)||104-191|
Legislative Links of Interest
- The Department of Health Rules page has information about rules administered by the Department of Health.
- The Washington State Board of Health develops and promotes policies that protect and improve the public's health. Projects have included looking at Genetics and Privacy, Newborn Screening, and Report: Universal Newborn Hearing Screening 2012 (PDF).
- The Washington State Public Affairs TV Network, also known as TVW, has audio and visual coverage of Washington State legislative sessions and public affairs events.
- The Washington State Office of Financial Management has information about the state budget.
- The National Conference of State Legislators has a Genetic Technologies Project to provide policy makers with information about genetics and related areas.
- The Library of Congress THOMAS web page has information on federal legislation.
- The Coalition for Genetic Fairness has an online Guide to GINA.
- The US Department of Education has information about IDEA Part-C - Infants and Toddler with Disabilities.
- The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has information about HIPAA.