Veterinarian - General Duties
Animal disease reporting to WSDA.
Animals - General Measures
Vendor requirements when selling reptiles, amphibians, and poultry chicks. Minimum turtle carapace length that can be sold. Anthrax prevention and restrictions on selling animals associated with a disease outbreak.
Animals in Public Settings
Petting zoo, county fair, and other public animal exhibit requirements for animal venue operators and animal exhibitors.
- Animal Venue Operator Signs
- Fair Toolkit (PDF)
- Compendium of Measures to Prevent Disease Associated with Animals in Public Settings (NASPHV)
Child Care and Animals
Child care center and family home child care requirements regarding pets and animals.
- Child Care Centers and Animals, Section WAC 170-295-5170
- Family Home Child Care and Animals, Section 170-296-0770 WAC
Dead Animal Disposal
Owner responsibilities and methods for disposing of dead animals.
Importation of Animals
Inspection, testing, and quarantine requirements, and importation restrictions for certain animals.
- Pet Import and Export - Requirements for dogs, cats, and ferrets
- Small Animal Import Requirements (WSDA)
Local mosquito control district formation, district laws, and the Department of Health's role in mosquito control.
Vendor requirements involving parrots and other psittacine birds. Local health officer's role in investigating and controlling the transmission of disease. Restrictions on bringing psittacine birds into the state that may have avian chlamydiosis.
- Animal Vendor Written Notifications and Signs for Customers
- Compendium of Measures to Control Chlamydophila psittaci Infection Among Humans (Psittacosis) and Pet Birds (Avian Chlamydiosis) (PDF)
Dog, cat, and ferret rabies vaccination requirements. Animal exhibitor requirements. Importation and movement restrictions for certain mammals. Local health officer authority when dealing with rabid or suspected rabid animals.
- Rabies Vaccination Requirements for Dogs, Cats, and Ferrets
- Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control, 2008 (PDF)
School health and safety guide which includes recommendations and some requirements under existing rules or laws.
Health and Safety Guide for K-12 Schools in Washington State (PDF) - See "Animals in Schools" section. Currently under review for updating. Contact us for a copy.
|Content Source: Zoonotic Disease Program|