Introduction and Background
In Washington State, the Department of health makes recommendations to the legislature on health profession credentialing proposals and proposals to add new insurance mandates. These are done at the request of the chairs of legislative committees. The process is called a "sunrise review." Requirements for health profession reviews are contained in chapter 18.120 RCW. Requirements for mandated benefit reviews are listed in chapter 48.47 RCW.
Completed health profession and mandated benefit reviews A - Z list
Questions or comments, or wish to request hard copies of reports, email us or call 360-236-4612.
- The process
- Health profession sunrise reviews in progress
Naturopathic physician scope of practice
The Washington State Senate Health and Long Term Care Committee has requested the department review a proposal to increase the naturopathic physician scope of practice to assess whether it meets the sunrise criteria in RCW 18.120.010. The request includes, among other additions, the ability to prescribe schedule II-V controlled substances.
The applicant group for this proposal is the Washington Association of Naturopathic Physicians (WANP).
The department accepted public comments through November 20, 2023. This round of public comment is now closed.
We will now:
- Review comments and conduct independent research
- Hold a public comment meeting in spring of 2024 (date to be determined)
- Share a draft report in the summer of 2024 and invite public comments on the draft recommendations
- Finalize our report, incorporating additional public comment where applicable in fall of 2024
- Submit the final report to the legislature before the 2025 legislative session and post to our website.
- Letter from Senate Health and Long Term Care Committee (PDF)
- Senate Bill 5411 (PDF)
- Applicant Report submitted by WANP (PDF).
For more information on the sunrise process and to view the criteria for a sunrise review, see our main sunrise webpage.
- Mandated benefit sunrise reviews in progress