What types of X-ray shielding plans does the state review? (WAC 246-225-030)
Radiographic X-ray installations:
- Non-mobile use radiographic (mobile unit used in one room)
- Medical X-ray machine installations greater than 70 kVp
- Permanent Fluoroscopic Installations
- Non-mobile use fluoroscopic (mobile unit used in one room)
Computed Tomography (CT) - All new and replacement CT units:
- Medical Cone Beam Computed Tomography
- Positron Emission Tomography/CT (PET/CT) Tomography
Industrial-use particle accelerators
We do not review:
- Bone density machines with generators that do not exceed 70 kVp.
- Dental shielding including CBCT
- Diagnostic veterinary
- Podiatry with generators that do not exceed 70 kVp
- Micro-amperage (mini) c-arms
- 70kVp or less brachytherapy units
- Mobile c-arm installation: If a mobile c-arm will not be used in more than one location, a formal shielding report should be submitted before the unit is installed. To be considered mobile, a c-arm must be operated in more than one room at a facility on a regular basis.
- Cone Beam CT: Units that will be replaced in the same footprint with the same energy levels do not need to submit a new plan review.
- X-ray room remodeling: If you remodel the X-ray room and do not make any changes to the X-ray equipment, a new shielding plan must be submitted to ensure the X-ray shielding is still valid.
Installation without a plan review will be subject to a $656 late fee as well as a $344 plan review fee. WAC 246-254-053(2)(c)
We review plans within 30 calendar days. The standard submission fee is $344. If you are short on time, an expedited review is available within 2 working days once all required information is received by the X-ray Compliance Program. The fee for an expedited plan review is $1,000 per room plan. WAC 246-254-053(2)(b).
You do not need a new shielding plan if you meet the following criteria:
- You must have an X-ray shielding plan accepted by the department dated 1990 or newer, and is still accurate for surrounding occupancy.
- The X-ray workload as stated on that plan has not increased by more than 25 percent.
- The new X-ray unit will be installed in the same footprint as the unit being replaced (including chest bucky, if applicable).
- Replacing a component of your X-ray system:
Adding a digital receptor with no workload change
- There are no changes to the room that may invalidate the X-ray shielding including:
Changes in distances to shielded walls
Occupancy factors around the X-ray room have not increased
How will the facility be notified?
When your plan has been reviewed you will be sent official notification. Installation can then follow. Operation of the X-ray equipment prior to receiving this notification from our office will result in a penalty fee.
Questions? Call 1-800-299-9729
Instructions for submitting shielding plan review and fees: