Emergency Rule Adoption - Chapter 246-272A-0110
The Washington State Department of Health (department), working with the State Board of Health, adopted a fifth emergency rule to allow on-site sewage system (OSS) proprietary treatment products to be operated and maintained with the best components available during an ongoing supply chain shortage. The first emergency rule was effective through October 12, 2022. The second emergency rule was effective from October 12, 2022 through February 9, 2023. The third emergency rule was effective from February 10, 2023 through June 10, 2023. The fourth emergency rule was effective from June 9, 2023 through October 6, 2023.
This fifth emergency rule is effective from October 6, 2023 through February 3, 2024.
This emergency rule:
- Allows manufacturers to propose changes to the department for retrofitting components of their proprietary products under prescribed circumstances.
- Ensures substituted proprietary products are not negatively impacting the treatment, operation, or maintenance.
- Ensures public health and environmental protections are maintained while limiting delays on home sales.
We are investigating a long-term solution to consider as part of the permanent rulemaking while this emergency rule is in effect.
Important links that provide additional information:
- Adopted Emergency Rule CR-103 (PDF)
- Memo About the Emergency Rule (PDF)
- Emergency Rule Summary and Product-Component Approvals (PDF)
- WAC 246-272A Ongoing Rule Revision
Information for Manufacturers
Manufacturers of products impacted by a supply chain shortage can submit to the department a written plan that ensures proprietary systems are not negatively impacted in their treatment, operation, or maintenance.
Once the department receives the written plan, we will be in contact if there are any questions or concerns. Manufacturers will receive written notification from the department when we approve the plan.
For more information about the rule making or Wastewater Management Section (WWMS) contact:
Jeremy Simmons, WWMS manager, 360-236-3346
Roger Parker, WWMS staff, 360-489-5305
Peter Beaton, rules coordinator, 360-236-4031