The Department of Health collects information on pregnancy and delivery in Washington State from birth certificates. Information is used to calculate birth rates, fertility patterns, and maternal and infant health characteristics. These can be examined by a variety of information including maternal and paternal demographics, delivery method, length of gestation, birth weight, and plurality.
View the Data
The Department of Health provides information through interactive dashboards. These dashboards allow users to:
- Find out more about our birth data
- Interact with charts, maps, and graphs
- Export the data as a spreadsheet
How to purchase files
These are record level data files. Working with these data files requires use of spreadsheet, database management, or statistical software that are not provided. A Data Sharing Agreement (DSA) is required to access all vital records data. Sample Data Sharing Agreement
A DSA documents the conditions under which the Department of Health shares limited datasets containing potentially identifiable information with outside entities. By signing the DSA, the recipient(s) of the data agrees to not link information with any other information that could identify an individual or use the information to contact any individuals. Data may not be disclosed unless agreed upon in the DSA.
Data files available for purchase
Birth Statistical Files (1980 to 2022)
Medical and statistical information from the birth certificate about the mother, father, newborn, and the delivery. (Birth weight, pregnancy history, prenatal care, smoking status, method of delivery, and risk factors in pregnancy etc.).
- Vital Statistics Technical Notes (PDF) provides more information about all vital statistics data, including data quality and recommended uses.
- 2010-2022 Highlights – Vital Statistics Factsheet (PDF)
- Overview Table (Excel) provides a historical context for interpreting vital statistics in Washington State from 1910 through 2022. This table shows live births, deaths, infant deaths, and fetal deaths for Washington residents.
Sign up for email notifications
Email us at:CHS.DataRequests@doh.wa.gov