The Department of Health gathers information about each marriage and divorce that occurs in Washington State. The filing of marriage and divorce certificates at the state level began in 1968.
View the Data
The Department of Health provides information through interactive dashboards. These dashboards allow users to:
- Find out more about our marriage and divorce data
- Interact with charts, maps, and graphs
- Export the data as a spreadsheet
How to purchase data files
The Department of Health gathers information about each marriage or divorce that occurs in Washington State. The filing of marriage or divorce certificates at the state level began in 1968. The department does not have information about marriages or other legal unions or divorces that occurred outside of Washington State, even if the participants are residents of Washington State.
A DSA documents the conditions under which the Department of Health shares limited datasets containing potentially identifiable information with outside entities. By signing the DSA, the recipient(s) of the data agrees to not link information with any other information that could identify an individual or use the information to contact any individuals. Data may not be disclosed unless agreed upon in the DSA.
These are record level data files. Working with these data files requires use of spreadsheet, database management, or statistical software that are not provided. A Data Sharing Agreement (DSA) is required to access all vital records data. Sample Data Sharing Agreement
Please email CHS.DataRequests@doh.wa.gov to request marriage and divorce data files.
- Vital Statistics Technical Notes (PDF) provides more information about all vital statistics data, including data quality and recommended uses.
- 2010-2022 Highlights – Vital Statistics Factsheet (PDF)
- Overview Table (Excel) provides a historical context for interpreting vital statistics in Washington State from 1910 through 2022. This table shows live births, deaths, infant deaths, and fetal deaths for Washington residents.
Sign up for email notifications
Email us at: CHS.DataRequests@doh.wa.gov